3rd Generation This includes all Eclipses built from 2000-2005

Electrical issues, help would be appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2014, 02:50 PM
Default Electrical issues, help would be appreciated

Hello, and before i begin, I've searched the threads and found little to nothing about this specifically leading me to believe it's all isolated issues but I'd like some confirmation.

One of my good friends has a 2001 Mitsubishi eclipse gt. It's been a lemon ever since he bought it but i'm not even going to get into that haha.. 3500 for a salvage titled eclipse with 230k miles and a slew of issues to go along with it for free. As of right now, he says the car will run fine (as fine as it can) but the windows won't roll down, the wipers only work on one setting i think he said very high, the brights won't work, the turn signals won't work, the radio might not i can't remember, but just a whole bunch of minute electrical issues. I haven't done any investigating yet he lives quite a ways away. I couldn't tell you if any fuses are blown or anything like that til tomorrow as i'm heading over there in a bit. I won't be able to post from there so i'm trying to gather as much information as possible.

Does anyone have any recommendations on where to start or what it could be? I'm thinking most of the problems are isolated but some might be connected. maybe a loose ground? I had a similar issue in my 944 cause by this. I was planning on picking up a set of bulbs for him to see if that fixed the lights. He used to have issues with his windows so I feel that maybe the regulators finally just gave out. he could only roll one down partially but now not even that. As far as the wipes, I have no clue as to what that could be other than maybe a short in the wiring somewhere.

Any help would be appreciated,
thank you!

Old 09-13-2014, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by naysay
I couldn't tell you if any fuses are blown or anything like that til tomorrow as i'm heading over there in a bit. I won't be able to post from there so i'm trying to gather as much information as possible.

Does anyone have any recommendations on where to start or what it could be?
...maybe a loose ground?
i'd say your half way to solving your own problems.
unfortunately diagnosing electrical gremlins over the internets, on a car you're not near, isn't actually possible yet.
a multimeter is going to be your friend.

Old 09-14-2014, 12:05 PM

From looking at them alone, none looked blown and he said the mechanics he's been to (questionable integrity) said they were good but I have my doubts. I didn't think to grab the multimeter before I left unfortunately. I was mainly just trying to find out if there were any common problems similar to this, I didn't expect a definite answer. My 944 had electrical gremlins, trust me I know how frustrating it can be haha. It was raining so I didn't get a chance to actually mess with it much I just found out more information. such as the cigarette lighter doesn't work, the turn signals wont show up as on in the dash, and they replaced the wiper switch with no luck.