3rd Generation This includes all Eclipses built from 2000-2005

great ideas, but NEED MORE CLUTCH HELP

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 12:11 AM
Default great ideas, but NEED MORE CLUTCH HELP

I just bought a 2000 eclipse rs and when i bought it i wasn't having any problems with it. however within the last week, something started acting up with the clutch. now whenever i have it in gear and the clutch fully depressed it still stalls out as if i werent pushing the clutch pedal at all [:@]. i went to conrads and they told me to replace the slave cylinder. i bought one from auto zone and installed it and bled the system. (just to clear up, the slave cylinder is the one by the fire wall, right) if so i was going to replace the master cylinder by the actual transmission too. anybody got any suggestions as to what might be wrong? thanks

Old 12-12-2005, 01:11 AM
Default RE: clutch??? PLEASE HELP!!!!

I was under the impression that the master cyl was on the fire wall and the slave was on the tranny but then again i have a second gen.

Old 12-12-2005, 08:05 AM

thanks, i was getting that impression from the pictures i saw online, but then again auto zone was telling me otherwise, wasn't sure which to believe

Old 12-12-2005, 10:01 AM

did u check for leaks cracks anything that could point the slave being bad? dose the fluid lvl drop after pumping the clutch a lot?

Old 12-12-2005, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator

Have you actually checked the condition of all lines as well as possibly the clutch itself? Does the pedal feel spongy at all (Also a good indication of a leak)?

Old 12-12-2005, 04:19 PM

yes to both of those, i went to conrads and they said my slave cylinder was leaking. but again i wasn't sure which one that is.

Old 12-12-2005, 04:44 PM

regardless of what a shop said check it out for yourself.

Old 12-12-2005, 05:56 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah get a book and look up where the slave cylinder is and then take a look at your see if it IS leaking. (I'd tell you but I'm at a friends house and don't have my book handy at the moment when I get home I'll post for sure exactly where it is).

Old 12-12-2005, 06:04 PM

it feels like the clutch is not engaging, but i checked the fluid level and topped it off when i bled out the lines. i usually keep my car in first when i park it and when i try to start it now, i have the pedal depressed the whole way and it still stalls out. after i bought the new (what is apparently the master cylinder by the fire wall) it shifted into gear well for about 5 minutes untill the engine warmed up. then the only gear i could shift it into was third from first. and even that had me putting all my body weight into it. i think i'm gunna change the slave cylinder to (by the tranny) the guy at auto zone said it would cost about $50-$60, hopefully thats all thats wrong with it and the clutch itself isn't bad. we'll see

Old 12-13-2005, 09:47 AM

all your bodyweight hu well sounds like they didnt replace ****. seriously sounds like where the bolts go into the firewall have cracked or broken. pull them both out a throughly inspect for nay cracks missing pices and so on.

Quick Reply: great ideas, but NEED MORE CLUTCH HELP