3rd Generation This includes all Eclipses built from 2000-2005

how many is too many miles?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 01:21 AM
Default RE: how many is too many miles?

I've got 210k on my 93 gs. Feels very powerless next to my old bmw, but does feel right for a 4 banger.

Old 05-30-2006, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: TCossuto

I've got 210k on my 93 gs. Feels very powerless next to my old bmw, but does feel right for a 4 banger.
yea those non turbo's will feel like that

Old 05-30-2006, 03:17 PM

Yea my 97 GS Eclipse just hit over 100,000 last month and no problems. I haven't even changed the clutch since 40,000 and its still good.

Old 05-30-2006, 03:23 PM
Banned

If you only want 250 then you can do that really easily. MBC @ 15psi and an exhaust will do that.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:59 PM
Default miles

Just wanted to say my 2000 Mitsubishi eclipse ft is at 367k miles still going strong

Old 08-23-2013, 09:27 AM

I'm looking to buy my first Mitsubishi; I love this Eclipse color and year 2007 Mitsubishi Eclipse - Used Hatchback Wichita KS | Premier Auto Sales
115k seems like a lot for a used car, though, so I'm not sure how much life I'd be able to get out of it. What would you suggest other than taking it to a highly-rated mechanic and getting his opinion? Any research or million-dollar questions I should know about?

Old 08-23-2013, 08:20 PM
Banned

If you're not proficient in automotive, I'd say a competent mechanic is the only way to get a good assessment.

I personally despise these vehicles. They don't do anything particularly well; they aren't fuel efficient, they don't handle that well, they aren't fast, and they aren't the greatest quality. If the styling isn't to your liking, I would strongly suggest looking elsewhere. If the way the car looks is what sold you, then by all means.

I also really cannot stand the transmission in this car, but that's more likely down to my aggressive driving style. It can't ever decide which gear is most appropriate, and the ratios are weak, as they've been chosen for their fuel economy rather than performance. The manual transmission variant is much better, and the V6 offers considerably more grunt which makes up for the dismal performance. Fuel economy will suffer with the bigger more powerful powerplant, but will improve with the manual transmission (driving style dependent). Remember that the average life of a clutch is around 100k depending on the drivers skill level. If the vehicle has mileage close to this, negotiate $700-$1000 into the price for a clutch change.

The reason I'm able to give input, is a friend of mine took me along when she was looking at these cars. I drove a 2006 with under 100k on it, and it was atrocious. Numerous random things wrong with the car, poorly made/fitting interior panels, etc, among everything listed above.

When considering a vehicle for purchase, take into account what's been repaired or covered up. Take someone that knows how to inspect bodywork as well as mechanical condition. A vehicle that's been made to look pretty on the outside can be very deceiving, and dealerships are known for it. Honest battle scars, like seen on the rear quarter panel / bumper, is actually a good thing. Use this to your advantage when negotiating. I recommend not using the dealerships finance company either, they're scam artists. Contact who ever you have lines of credit with, and explain your impending vehicle purchase and see what they'll offer you. 9 times out of 10, their offers are considerably better. You must take into account the price paid after interest, as it's wildly different than the actual price you agree to. Do some google research on how this works, and it'll make you sick to your stomach but at least you'll be prepared. If you're paying cash for the vehicle, that gives you considerably more leverage. They will be reluctant to budge on the price if they know you have cash to play with, so keep that card close to you. Negotiate your price, then whip out the checkbook. Watch the salesman's face change when he realizes he won't be bending you over with his interest rates. He may even try to back out and adjust the price. Stand your ground!!!

Dealerships hate me....

Last edited by Sebba; 08-23-2013 at 08:37 PM.
Old 06-12-2017, 11:36 PM

I have a question. I'm buying my first mitsubishi. I'm looking at getting an eclipse. I've found a '97 with 195k on it with nothing wrong engine wise for 1000. Is that too many miles? I've also found a '95 with 167k on it but it needs a new head and block for 550. I know a head and block can get a little pricey, but I'm a broke soon to be college kid and am just looking for some advice. Thanks.