3rd Generation This includes all Eclipses built from 2000-2005

Key Advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 10:47 PM
Default Key Advice

I have an 04 eclispe gts and have no key. The car dealer only provided me one key and I dropped my key off the boat. The dealer wants an obsurd amount $250 to make me a key. They refuse to program a new key I provide. The locksmith says he can get me going if I provide the car to him, still I don't want to put myself in a situation of having a car towed 50 miles. The local chrysler dealer refuses to do it. The local lock smiths want me to have it towed to them for a "may be able to do it". So my option is to have my car towed 50 miles to the dealership for the dealer to rape me. I'm curious if I found another car to "rob or borrow" the proper components to restore functionality to the car, what would they be? Could I ship someone the proper components to make me a key? I thought if I could at least drive the car to the dealer I wouldn't be so sore afterwards.

Old 11-15-2010, 09:15 AM

ya the 250 sounds right, and just having any key sent to you wont work. the mitsubishi eclipse key, like most newer cars, have a computer chip in them called a transpoder, which when inserted into the door and the ignition, it will talk to your computer on your car, to help make sure it is the exact key for that car. if you put a different key in and try turning it, it either wont work or it will shut down your computer, and you will have to have a shop reboot it. so i would say since its your only opiton, then ya the dealer will have to do. once you get a new key, go to a locksmith or a hardware store and have them make you a copy (you will have to have a new key that is cut and programmed for your car) this will cost you around 89-100 dollars. and that is really cheap for one of these keys.