3rd Generation This includes all Eclipses built from 2000-2005

My car Overheats, PLEASE help

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008 | 09:35 AM
Default My car Overheats, PLEASE help

Hi, how are you?

Well i was looking around the forum for topics relating to a car overheating.

I bought a spyder 02 about 3 months ago, and everything was fine till about a month ago. I had gone to work and i noticed my car was driving a little different, but i didnt pay much attention to it. Later on that afternoon after getting outta work i was heading home and after about a 10-15 traffic my car turned off on me, so i tried to turn it back on once or twice and it didnt turn back on, so i tried again and it did and i drove about a block, maybe even less and the car turned back off and when i looked at my hood it was smoking from my right side and i checked my temperature meter and it was on hot, so i called my boyfriend and he came and we checked and the car had no coolant at all. So we went to get some, and filled it up with the car off, after a litlte waiting the car turned back on and we drove home which was about 2 blocks away, the temperature meter was in the middle as it should be. That night i drove home and it all seemed fine, but the next day i realized that the little meter was being very unstable, going from a little under the middle to a little over the middle to higher up close to the H on the hot meter. So the next day i decided to take it to a mechanic, he took a look at it, and he says its prob bubbles since i poured the coolant with the car off so he turned on the car and poured water into the radiator and bubbles kept coming out for about 10 min as he continuously poored the water in there, he told me it was prob that. So the car was fine for about 2 weeks, But just now about 3 days ago, it started over heating again, no smoke or turning off this time, but the whole going up and down on the meter, we put more coolant, this time with the car on and it seemed to be fine for the night, but the next day it was back to having problems. We did a coolant flush, Things are still the same.

I really have no idea what could be wrong, Some tell me maybe the thermis status has a problem? maybe its a leek?.. I dont know?

I know this was a long one, but i just wanted to be specific to try to get help.

Can you help me out? ever heard of this problem before? What could be wrong?

Looking foward to your answer.
Thank you

Old 01-15-2008 | 10:21 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: My car Overheats, PLEASE help

I already sent the pm. But my guess is head gasket

Old 01-15-2008 | 10:29 AM
Super Moderator

ok from pm you said there is no smoke at all. Im gonna keep answers to this so others may give input as well.

symptoms are:
-overheating
-loss of coolant?
-no smoke from exhaust

i guess the thermostat might be the best thing to start with. But when leaving it in the driveway overnight do you notice any coolant on the ground to determine if there really is a leak?

Old 01-15-2008 | 01:34 PM
Banned

I dont think its the thermostat. 1) there is an actual loss of coolant. 2) there were bubbles.

I already responded to the PM, but for the sake of the thread...

1) Radiator crack
2) Radiator hose
3) Radiator cap

Only in extreme cases will there be coolant on the ground. There needs to be pressure in order for it to escape. Unless you have a huge freakin hole some place.

I think that's about it. Man I love this phone lol

Old 01-15-2008 | 02:48 PM

i too responded to teh PM

Old 01-15-2008 | 03:31 PM

I said leak... my first guess is heater core, so I asked if theres any liquid in the cabin.

Old 01-15-2008 | 10:55 PM

u might also want to check the clamps to the hoses cuz my cousin worked for mitsubishi for a while and said that was a common prob with the 3gs. i had the same prob. fortunatley the problem was with my driving

Old 01-16-2008 | 08:02 AM

ORIGINAL: Sebba

will there be coolant on the ground. There needs to be pressure in order for it to escape. Unless you have a huge freakin hole some place.
That is Sooo not even true. Sebba I have a very very minor leak in my Evo. no huge whole. no extreme condition, and no pressure running threw it as the car has sat since october. It still dripps.

Old 01-16-2008 | 09:15 AM
Super Moderator

yea same thing with my mr2. I had a leak at the radiator and i would have coolant on the floor from sitting

Old 03-21-2008 | 05:37 PM

Has this issue been resolved?
You guys had a lot of good solutions but forgot to add the radiator fan switch. If the fan switch isn't turning on the fan then the fan isn't cooling off the radiator and the coolant is circulating and still getting hot, the pressure will release coolant through the resevoir overfill spout.
Another is the coolant tempreture switch. That tells the computer to turn the fan on when the coolant temp goes above factory temp specs.

I know I'm a bit late, but I'm in school so I don't get time to go online anymore. Plus, my email notifications don't work for some reason.