3rd Generation This includes all Eclipses built from 2000-2005

Stock radio and controls?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 12:03 AM
Jsn
Default Stock radio and controls?

I am new to this forum and have just purchased a 2005 GT Spyder Conv. I like the stereo controls that are in the steering wheel, but the stock cd play isn't the best. If i change out the cd player with an aftermarket one, will I lose the controls in the steering wheel? Also, will i lose the display above the stock cd player? Thanks for your help.

-Jason

Old 03-29-2006, 07:02 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Stock radio and controls?

Answer to both questions in yes. You can find aftermarket stereo's out there that come with a steering wheel control pack but none will use the display on the top of the dash and the stock wheel buttons will be useless. It's Mitsubishi's little way of ensuring you stick with the stock radio and be different at the same time.

Old 03-29-2006, 11:23 AM

ORIGINAL: Sanguinius

Answer to both questions in yes. You can find aftermarket stereo's out there that come with a steering wheel control pack but none will use the display on the top of the dash and the stock wheel buttons will be useless. It's Mitsubishi's little way of ensuring you stick with the stock radio and be different at the same time.
that is not totally correct. while he will lose the display in the clock pod, he can buy an adapter that will allow him to keep the functionality of the steering wheel controls. you will want to get this adapter.... http://www.cardomain.com/item/PERPESWIX

Old 03-29-2006, 01:56 PM

yea i didnt even realize they were behind the steering wheel until the day before i installed my system ....at least I had fun with it for one day

Old 03-29-2006, 11:55 PM
Jsn

Thanks for the info. I found that interface unit today when i was searching around the net and ordered it. Has anyone actually installed this unit? I am wondering where people mount the infrared part at? I assume that it has to be pointed at the head unit, and i don't see many places to mount it at!? The best place that i can think of is the shifter ****, and point it up at the unit!?

Also, Is there a way to hook up the clock back up after you put in the aftermarket cd player? Maybe just the power wire so that the clock still works!? Anyone know if they make some kind of after market display for that area that you can swap it out with? I'd like to find something thath displayed the direction and outside temp along with the time, like in the GTS models.

Thanks for all the help!

- Jason

Old 03-30-2006, 12:04 AM
Super Moderator

I'm not sure if the clock on there is part of the radio or if it keeps time seperately... I think the coolest thing I've seen someone do was take and put the head unit where the clock is and then install a computer screen where the radio would be. That takes ALOT to do though so I wouldn't recommend trying it unless you have some experience.

Old 03-30-2006, 12:05 PM

the clock will still work. mine works with my aftermarket radio

Old 03-30-2006, 06:25 PM
Super Moderator

Cool I didn't know if it kept time off the radio or if it was a seperate circuit.

Old 03-31-2006, 01:26 PM

ORIGINAL: Sanguinius

Cool I didn't know if it kept time off the radio or if it was a seperate circuit.
its seperate.