3rd Generation This includes all Eclipses built from 2000-2005

Water on floor problem

Old 06-16-2008, 05:25 PM
Default Water on floor problem

I am trying to post a question but I keep getting errors when I submit. I don't know what the problem is, but I'll try to get the questions in separate posts or something.

Old 06-16-2008, 05:30 PM
Default RE: Water on floor problem

I've been searching around for answers to my question and I see other people across the internet with similar problems, but not many answers.

I have a 2000 Eclipse GS that I recently bought. The previous owner reported that the windshield leaks when it rains. I bought it knowing I was going to have to deal with that issue. The drivers floor carpet was wet when I bought it. Naturally, I began trying to dry out the carpet. The first day I drove it to work (about 30-40 minutes) with the AC on, but no rain, I believe that there was more water on the floor after that trip. I've since dried out the carpet completely and it hasn't rained significantly for a very long time - I'm in south Texas. Suspecting the AC, I drove for a week with no AC (no fun in south Texas - 95 degrees+), and no rain to make sure I had it stabilized.

Old 06-16-2008, 05:31 PM

By the way, I'm sure the liquid is not antifreeze. There is no color, nor smell. I'm certain it's water.

After some research, I tried removing some of the dash covers and the radio to look for leaks. I put water down the drain holes in the sunroof and verified that it dumped on the ground, and not in the car. I did the same with the drains around the engine cowl. I pulled back the carpet as far as reasonable and ran the car with AC and looked for leaks, and haven't found anything; and the condensation was dripping out of the car. I had seen a post elsewhere that reported that they had a similar problem, and a mechanic ran the car for 2 hours on a lift and didn't have any leaking in the car, but then when they drove it, the floor got wet immediately.

Old 06-16-2008, 05:31 PM

The previous owner reported that the windshield leaks when it rains. I bought it knowing I was going to have to deal with that issue. The drivers floor carpet was wet when I bought it. Naturally, I began trying to dry out the carpet. The first day I drove it to work (about 30-40 minutes) with the AC on, but no rain, I believe that there was more water on the floor after that trip. I've since dried out the carpet completely and it hasn't rained significantly for a very long time - I'm in south Texas. Suspecting the AC, I drove for a week with no AC (no fun in south Texas - 95 degrees+), and no rain to make sure I had it stabilized.

By the way, I'm sure the liquid is not antifreeze. There is no color, nor smell. I'm certain it's water.

After some research, I tried removing some of the dash covers and the radio to look for leaks. I put water down the drain holes in the sunroof and verified that it dumped on the ground, and not in the car. I did the same with the drains around the engine cowl. I pulled back the carpet as far as reasonable and ran the car with AC and looked for leaks, and haven't found anything; and the condensation was dripping out of the car. I had seen a post elsewhere that reported that they had a similar problem, and a mechanic ran the car for 2 hours on a lift and didn't have any leaking in the car, but then when they drove it, the floor got wet immediately.

Lately I've been running the AC on my afternoon commute. The carpet is not obviously wet. There are some spots that could be wet, but it's not certain. I wonder if it's drying out between my trips, or the undersection isn't saturated enough to get water on top.

Old 06-16-2008, 05:35 PM

Anyway, I'm thinking that the condensation drain might be clogged, but then why does it drain when the car is not moving? Any other ideas?

Old 06-16-2008, 05:38 PM

Does anyone have a photo, drawing, or information about where exactly the drain is.

Old 06-16-2008, 05:39 PM

I am not a troll or someone who likes to spam forums. I don't understand why I had to break up my post in so many questions, but it seemed to be character count related or something. Sorry.

Old 06-17-2008, 11:30 PM

I believe that is the condenser drain, all you do is stick a small stick up it and i believe its on the drivers side but i havent had the chance to find it on mine yet

Old 06-29-2008, 09:00 PM

did u find a source of the leak? I have a 2000 convertible with the same prob. it is not the top, i vac the water out of the driver floor and drove on a sunny day with the ac on and i had a small puddle at the end of the day. i jacked it up and watched the ac drain just pouring water. wonder if it is just partially plugged or if there is to to much water for it to drain. thinking about pulling the carpet back and driving it for a while to find the leak. i did notice there is a drain hole under the seat area that has a rubber plug in it. doesn't look like it could leak but is a possibility. please post if u find a solution

Old 06-29-2008, 10:27 PM

No, not yet. I know it's coming from the AC drain. I jacked the car up and ran the AC and it dripped on the ground fine. I raised the front up more (so the front was up about 10 inches more than the back) and then it stopped dripping outside and the floor started getting wet on the inside. I found this post on the internet about it: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...4144824AA9HHSY . I can't see where the drain is and I don't have a lift to make it easier to look under the car, so I plan on bringing it to a mechanic to have him seal around the grommet that is causing the leak.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Water on floor problem