Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

98 Diamante CD player installation problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 10:15 AM
Default 98 Diamante CD player installation problems

Ok here is the issue. Last night me and a few friends were installing a new CD player into this 98 diamante, and ran into a few problems. After getting it out of the dash, splicing all the wires and all that jazz, we plugged it in, grounded it to test and see if it worked and it did. Well a few minutes go by and the cd player doesn't work anywhere. Tried changing the ground a few times, but still no go. Now it seems the LED where the time displays (not on the CD player, just above the AC) no longer comes on, both lights inside the car no longer come on (the ones on the ceiling of the car,) the power locks no longer work, and the little LED that displays what doors are open no longer work. The car starts fine, the headlights come on, blinkers, and LED for the A/C come on. Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks,
Joel

Old 07-09-2007, 12:45 AM
Default RE: 98 Diamante CD player installation problems

I just installed a deck in my fiance's car today andhave the exact same problem. hers is a 03 Lancer OZ Edition

Old 07-09-2007, 03:18 AM

blown fuse/relay?

Old 07-10-2007, 07:33 PM

I checked what i think is the acc fuse. there was a 30 amp and a 40 amp relay look alike fuse. i replaced both of those and had nothing change.

I need to get this figured out!!!!

Please help. what relays would i want to trouble shoot??

Old 07-10-2007, 11:34 PM

When you test the constant and accessory wires at the radio harness, do you get any power? And did you cut the factory harness? If you did, that might be your problem right there. Some auto manufactures run other circuits through their factory raidos. For example, the 96-98 Honda civic runs the interior light dimmer and keyless entry system through the factory radio. So try reconnecting the factory unit and see where that puts you

Old 07-12-2007, 07:35 PM

it didn't have a factory radio prior to install. i have an adapter so the actual car harness is untouched. i have two orange wires for the dimming and illumination leads that are not connected because i don't have 2 wires for that.i will try to connect those, but does mitsubishi use that systemas well??

Old 07-12-2007, 09:36 PM

ok, here's what should be hooked up:

Yellow - 12v constant
Red - 12v Accessory
Black - Chasis Ground
Blue/White - Remote Amp Turn-on
Blue - Unless you have a power antenna, cap this one off and do not connect
Orange, Orange w/White - Dimmer switch, you can use these but I generally don't

Grey, White, Purple & Green are all speaker wires, and should be color coded

Here's my recomendation:
1.) Take a multi-meter, test the Yellow wire first, see if you're getting a constant supply of power
2.) If the head unit is receiving a constant 12.6 volts when the car is not running, turn the ignition key to ACC and check the Red wire. You should see 12.6 volts

Also, if you've got power to the unit in both the Red and Yellow wires, try disconnecting the amp turn on.

It's hard to say, but it sounds like most of the stuff that you've listed going out are in either your accessory or main ignition circuit. If I had to guess without seeing the car, I'd say you blew a relay somewhere. But that's just one guy's speculation without having worked on one of these cars and without seeing the car in person.