Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

audio cuts off when too loud

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2005, 05:13 PM
Default audio cuts off when too loud

i was wondering why...when i turn thr bass up or vlume too loud the sond cuts off for a couple seconds? It's an aftermarket head unit cuz the original was stolen...

my guess is the 180 watts it puts out?

is it too low?

Old 06-28-2005, 01:42 AM
Default RE: audio cuts off when too loud

Does the head-unit still shut off when you have the car running? Or does it shut off when you have it on Acc? Mine shuts off when it is on Acc sometimes because it is drawing too much current without the engine running. (and I have an alpine head-unit)

Old 07-02-2005, 03:11 PM

Well... you haven't given me a reply, so I can't help you. The reason that your head-unit will cut off when your car is NOT running (when you have your key on ACC) is because your battery only pushes out 12V DC. When your head-unit is up too loud, it is trying to pull too much current from your battery and it automatically shuts off. If you have your car running, the alternator pushes out 14.4V DC and it can also push more current out then your battery. Current should be around .9 amps. Hopefully this helps you....

Old 07-26-2005, 01:55 AM

sounds like m3kgt_99 is def on the right track, so i would check that out. or is it just the speakers cutting out? does the headunit copletaly shut down? if so i would go with that unless maybe you have cheap wiring done to your aftermarket head unit and they can't drawl enough current. check that too.

Old 08-16-2005, 12:44 PM

same thing is happening to me, i dont know the speakers that are in my car (they are aftermarket and i wasnt told what they were when i bought the car), but i have a kameleon receiver. it cuts out for 5-10 seconds when turn the volume above 24, or when the road is bumpy. i thought it was just the cd player skipping but it happens with the radio too. should i replace the receiver with the one i had in my last car? its a jvc kd-g400.

Old 08-16-2005, 12:52 PM

it cuts out for 5-10 seconds when turn the volume above 24, or when the road is bumpy
Hey Eclipse95... since you have an aftermarket head-unit, you might want to pull it out and check the wires on the harness. I saw that you said when the road is bumpy, and it may be a wire shorting to ground because it may have slipped out of the plastic connector. I had this problem before, but then I bent the metal pin contact back to place and inserted it back into the harness clip. Try that and writ back with feedback.

Old 01-24-2006, 08:47 PM

I have a similar problem too, i just bought an aftermarket headunit for my 98 Eclipse GS-T. It has the same DIN plug as the original headunit, so i didnt have to change any wiring. The new headunits brand is a Eclipse with CD/MD.

When i turn on the headunit, the lights come on and the radio starts to play, the CD also when I select that option. The problem is that is plays for about 2 seconds, then silence about 2 seconds, plays 2 seconds, silence 2 seconds.. it comes and goes in exactly the same rate, but I dont have a clue why it does this. The new headunit has a 50w amp in the headunit, the original have no amp. Could it be a conflict with my original amp under the passenger seat and the amp in the new unit or is it due to lack of current? Or maybe because of no low voltage connection with the original amp?

This doesnt change even if the engine is running or the ignintion is just on. Also the motorized antenna works fine. Any suggestions?

Dixxy - Norway

Old 01-27-2006, 12:13 PM

Hey 95eclipse, I have been looking around for that kameleon receiver, do you know where I can pick one up?

Old 02-02-2006, 03:11 PM

I have had this problem in different cars i have owned. Try cleaning or relocating your ground wire if it is an amp issue.
And make sure your power supply wires are big enough to carry the power your demanding.