Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

Car System Suggestions Please

Old 06-28-2007, 10:43 PM
Default Car System Suggestions Please

1995 Eclipse. So i didn't know there were Memphis speakers in the rear. I bought Pioneer 4-way speakers 80wattar RMS. 420 Max... They don't have as much bass as the Memphis, then again the Memphis speakers had this little yellow battery looking thing on them. I'm such a noob at audio. But my dad installed these pioneers in. Lots of treble and don't hit as hard. I guess that'll be good when I get subs. I'm assuming the front ones are Memphis too. Bought the car used. Found teh amp cables but they removed the amps and subs already. What should I get for the front and what subwoofers should i get? I don't really want to spend more thatn $500 on audio. I have a Jensen Aftermarket unit. ONe sub or two subs? I was originally going to go with Infinity Reference all around. I think I might get Infinity front speakers and Infinity Subwoofers in a bandpass box or ported box. Thanks guys

Heres a vid before those Pioneers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D25azAtOAA4
It's up pretty loud. Thats either 66 or 68. Can't remember

Old 07-02-2007, 06:50 PM
Default RE: Car System Suggestions Please

We need more info.
What model numbers are the Memphis speakers? Have you checked to see what kind of front speakers you have? Are they separates, two way or three ways?
What models are your Pioneers?
Does the Jensen head unit have a internal electronic crossover? Does it have a SUB OUT rca jack on the rear panel?
How much room ( cubic feet )in the hatch are you willing to sacrifice for the subwoofers? Remember that you will also have to save room for theamps and a possible crossover.

It is not important that your door speakers play bass,but if you play your system really loud, you may want find a good 2 channel amp.
If you buy your audio amps, crossover and subwoofer used and are willing to build your own box and wire up the system, it shouldn't be a problem to stay in your 500 dollar budget.
Example:
Use a good 2 channel amp on your fronts and usea cheap ( crap )amp on the rear,get a 2 channel sub amp for the subwoofers. Look for some older model name brand stuff if possible. ( Hifonics, Rockford Fosgate, Kicker, PPI, Soundstream ) There is several brands that you want to stay away from. ( Pyle, Visonik, Volfenhag, Pyramid) Make sure that you ask someone if indoubt. Wiring and cables can get pretty expensive so run down to Radio Shackif you can't find that used.
As far as subwoofers go, there is quite a few older designs that sell for almost nothing, old Kicker's, MTX's, Cerwin Vega's, JL'sandOrion's all had good specs before the SuperWoofers came out. You will find that most of these subs will need a little larger box than the new ones but it's sensitivity ( good for lower power systems )will be a couple of DB's louder on an average. If you build the right box and load it properly, you should get good results. Do some research on car systems and look into the Subwoofer section. It is possible to take an average woofer and using the right box and loading technique, have a powerful system.
**That yellow thing on your Memphis is a capacitor, it's part of your crossover network.

Old 07-04-2007, 01:59 AM

what are you lookin for sound quality, pure bass, or somewhere in between for the subs?

Old 07-04-2007, 04:36 PM

sound quality. i don't really want too much bass. just enough