Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

Hopefully a really easy question...

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 02:55 PM
Default Hopefully a really easy question...

Hey, new person. New in every way. I have a 02 Mirage DE coupe and Im looking to put a cassette deck in so that I can use my ipod via addapter for better sound quality than fm. I already have a cd/radio changer in there, so I guess what I need to know is can I just put a cassette deck into the lower (second) slot for a head unit? Will the two work together or will I need to choose one or the other? How do I know what cassette deck will work with my car and what are these audio codes I am hearing fuss about?

Like I said, Im totally new to the scene, and am looking to make a relatively easy addition. I would like to be able to choose btwn ipod(cassette deck), cds, or radio without any trouble while driving. Also, how much should I be looking to spend, here? I'm not really looking for anything high high end but I want some average quality.

Thanks for helping,
Graham

Old 12-29-2006, 04:02 PM
Default RE: Hopefully a really easy question...

You should get a cd player that is ipod ready and buy the adapter. The adapter is 50 at circuit city and i will charge your ipod, you will be abl to see the songs, artists, genre, etc on the cd player and also control the ipod from the cd player.

Old 12-29-2006, 04:08 PM

You get a Sony CD player for 119 plus the ipod adapter for 50 then the dash kit, car side harness, and radio side harness for about 225. Best way to go. Cassette players are dead technology

Old 12-30-2006, 01:10 AM

You said that you have a head unit with a CD changer, many companies make adaptersthat will simply plug up between your IPod and CD changer. You can also use a FM Modulator that would use your FM band,( 88.0 or 89.0 frequency ) this would allow you to play using your FM radio tuner. Your IPod has already cut most of the information and detail out of the music with digital compression,using your FM radiowould not be as bad as you think.
** What are you using for a head unit right now? If you have a new name brand head unit, you may have a audio input and you need to check before you make any purchases.
I would hit some audio shops and see what they have to offer before you change out yourradio.