Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

new subs

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 09:55 PM
Default new subs

I have older MTX subs in my car, 2 12's. 1 of them is on it's way out. I am not sure of the specs as I purchased them used. The amp I currently have is a Rockford Fosgate amp 360 watts x 2 channels. I just want to pick up some subs that are good and for the time being cause I really wasn't looking to upgrade them just yet

I have the option to purchase a set of these from a member of my car club
Sony Xplod Model XS-L121P5 12 (30cm) Subwoofer. Subwoofer has 1200 watt peak power , 350 watt continuous power. 5-sided polypropylene cone which makes for lower distortion and louder, deeper bass. Subwoofer has a rubber surround with "Stroke Stabilizer" and 4-layer edge wound 4-OHM voice coil. Subwoofer is brand new in the box, never used.

I can get them from her for $50 a piece
this is what's currently in my trunk

A friend of mine had the sonys. He had a single and then 2 of them and they hit really hard, better than you would expect out of a Sony, he also had an amp that was more powerful than mine
Should I go ahead and grab 2 of them? And will my amp be enough?

Old 03-30-2006, 09:30 PM
Default RE: new subs

Mr JayDeeOne
You power amp is fine, it should do well with either set of subs. The Sony XSL121p5 subs are not a bad choice but your MTX's look like the old Thunder 4000 series, these have almost the same DB's at 1 watt at around 90 and both are 4 ohms. The MTX's have an X-Max of 9.44mm and the Sony's have an X-Max of 7.5mm. Both can be sealed or ported but the Sony being a newer model may have some benefits of playing in a small box over the older MTX subs. For 50 dollars each, it is not a great deal but what else can you get as far as subs for this price? You box size is really important, if it is sealed now with the MTX subs, you maybe able to port it with the Sony subs depending on the cubic feet you have. The MTX and Sony subs maybe real close as far as output and you may want the extra bass of the port.
There is a review of the Sony sub 12 inch XSL12Lp5 on this website.
http://www.carsound.com/articles/pub...inter_17.shtml
Hope this helps
GOOD LUCK with your choice

Old 03-31-2006, 12:12 AM

Just get one of these and call it good

http://cgi.ebay.com/ALPINE-SWR-1242D...ayphotohosting

Old 03-31-2006, 11:15 PM

oh wow I forgot I posted this up on here
well it looks like my options right now are to get another MTX sub and keep what I have right now
or to pick up a park of L7s in a sealed box used, and purchase a new amp
or to purchase the L7s and a 5 channel memphis belle amp that the guy is selling along with them everything for 700 and the amp is 75wattsx4 channels and 1100wattsx1 channel. But I have been streered away from the 5 channel amp cause if the amp blows than I lost the amp for the interiors as well as the subs at the same time
or to pick up a set up from elemental designs, sub, amp and box
oh and my amp is only 90 watts x 2
the 360.2 is a model number

I am also going this week with a friend to see what I can get at a place that he has a discount through

Old 04-01-2006, 12:43 AM

Why not try ebay for stereo equipment. VERY cheap prices and I've purchased over $1,000 of goods on ebay and have never been screwed. Seriously, ebay is the best place to get audio equipment for cheap that's also new.

Eclipse SW6123.4 12" SW6123 4 Ohms Sub woofer New $54

Old 04-01-2006, 03:14 AM

yeah I know whatcha mean about EBAY I have made lots of purchases on there, but for something like this I would want to go and check them out in person and see what I want and see what the prices are before I would look on EBAY and from what I hear the Kickers that I can get are a really good deal
here are the pics of the kickers
it's like this 300 for the subs and box, 400 for the amp

Old 04-11-2006, 03:28 AM

new idea more to come...complete custom trunk done by a friend of mine at an awesome price, plus other stuff also

the box is fiberglass

there will be 1 amp how that one is and 1 dead center and 1 like that on the other side
there will be the gap in the middle but plexi with the mitsu diamonds etched in
black suede floor in trunk and panels in trunk
hinged plexi glass door to allow for access of the spare..

the subs are a company called ultra apparently a guy I know decided to start building subs, and they sound ridiculously loud and hit crazy hard
and the amps are a company called Arc, the subs are 10" and there will be 4 of them

more to come....
stay tuned....

Old 05-07-2006, 01:38 AM

good bet, maybe the best bet... CDT is a high end audio company making products in the USA and the price is great. Look for the CDT CL-1215 sub on eBay currently for sale at the CDT store for an amazing $79- you will not regret the sound they produce, by far leaps and bounds above Sony, Alpine, RF, Infinity or any other junk you can find at best buy-these are SQ subs but handle SPL with ease as well.

You will need to supply these with CLEAN power from an amp such as JL 500/1 at the least, or go better with Audison or US Amps

or you can buy my Diamond MKII dual 4 10" with 800rms power handling for $120- retail is $280, and its in great condition never been pushed hard (i dont listen to rap)