Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

No radio reception of in-built DVD player for Grandis

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 07:46 AM
Default No radio reception of in-built DVD player for Grandis

Hi,

I just purchased a 2005 Grandis Warrior which has an in-built DVD player in the ceiling. It works fine with the infrared headphones. There is an option to send the audio to the radio by specifying the frequency. Unfortunately I don't have a handbook and I can'tr seem to be able to receive the DVD sound using the radio. Any ideas? What are the steps to get the DVD audio through the radio?

Thanks,

Peter

Old 11-17-2008, 07:32 PM
Default RE: No radio reception of in-built DVD player for Grandis

check that the FM Transmitter on the overhead unit is switched on and check what frequency it is using. If you've already done this and you still aren't getting anything, then the transmitter is out and you'll need to swap the overhead unit for a new one with working FM trans.

Old 06-10-2011, 04:41 PM

I have the same problem.

How do I check that the FM Transmitter on the overhead unit is switched on?

Thanks.

Last edited by Ffa Coffi Pawb; 06-10-2011 at 04:49 PM.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:36 AM
Default DVD Player

Hi

New here, I didnt know there was an onwers forum. I bought a Grandis for my Mrs 4 years ago. Still got it.

As for the DVD player, try this link.

Rosen Entertainment Systems: Owners Manual Archives

I think the model is the G10 from memory.

if it doesnt work pm me and i'll have a look in the manual. Keep the headphones safe, they are expensive to replace as I found out.

Old 09-30-2011, 12:35 PM
Default DVD player

It's the g8 actually

to listen over the vehicles speakers press the speaker button on the DVD player

"speaker sound enabled" will appear along with the frequency. Tune your radio to that frequency and presto.

If you hear interfernce choose another frequency in the DVD player
by pressing the speaker button and then using either of the left or right buttons and retune your radio to the new frequency

Old 09-30-2011, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Danielr
It's the g8 actually

to listen over the vehicles speakers press the speaker button on the DVD player

"speaker sound enabled" will appear along with the frequency. Tune your radio to that frequency and presto.

If you hear interfernce choose another frequency in the DVD player
by pressing the speaker button and then using either of the left or right buttons and retune your radio to the new frequency
Yes, it's the G8.

I have tried about a dozen of the available frequencies and none of them works.

It doesn't really matter as I have 3 headphones (have 3 children). The car came with 2 but one was faulty and didn't work so I bought 2 pairs at £50 for the two of them off e-bay. The e-bay ones aren't quite the same as the originals but they are all Rosen and they all work.

The DVD remote was also missing and I also got that off e-bay for £20. Expensive for what it is, cheap and plasticky and thin, but it does the job.

The games controller was present, surprisingly.

It just would have been nice to hear the system va the radio.

I got no documents with the car. I only found the 10 disc autochanger in the boot a few weeks after I bought the car, by chance!

As an aside, the overall owner experience with this car in the first 6 months of ownership has been poor with loads of problems but the follwoing 6 months have been reasonable. My previous 3 cars were Toyotas (from franchise dealers) and I changed to a Grandis (from a Verso) from a car supermarket for the extra space.

My next car is likely to be a Toyota, but I hope to get a few years out of the Grandis first!

But I won't be going to a car supermarket ever again!

EDIT: My player says "Speaker sound on 87.7" - but it isn't on the stated frequency (whatever I change the frequency to). I have a cheap MP3 transmitter that goes into the cigarette lighter and that does broadcast on whatever frequency I select, so the radio is onviously not faulty.

Last edited by Ffa Coffi Pawb; 09-30-2011 at 01:36 PM.
Old 09-30-2011, 02:18 PM
Default DVD player

How is the reception on normal radio? If that ok check the setup in the menu.

you have more than one FM channel, try changing the FM channel on radio there are three i think ours works on fm2 and then tuning. try using fm frequency 87.9 or 88.3

Failing that go into the setup menu on the dvd player and check the audio ouput setting which should be "analog" , the speaker downmix should be "stereo" and the dynamic range should be "full" - this is from the manual

Failing all that. It could well be that the fm transmitter is faulty in the dvd unit so try contacting rosen for a uk service centre - info@rosenentertainment.com
or take it to Mitsi

Sorry to hear you have had trouble. I avoid car supermarkets, they havent a clue about the vehicles they sell. we bought ours new from a franchised dealer who after bit of haggling knocked £3k off the price.

I always go to franchised dealers, you can get good deals if you are prepared to travel and walk away, just bought a new car for myself from yorkshire even though we live in london, nearly £5k saving and they gave me 1k more for my trade in, the london dealers suddenly came up with a better deal but i told them where to go for being a bit too snobby in the first place.

We haven't had any problems (touch wood) with the Mitsi. Its a big car and comfortable on long journeys although it could have better noise insulation. The third row seat is much better than most, we were original looking at a galaxy but the last row has paper thin seats. Yes its a bit plasticky inside but then no more than its competitors.

I'm going to detail it this weekend, the paintwork has some swirls marks in it. might post a pic of the results.

edit : can you get change the frequency on the dvd display eg to 87.8 or 87.9 ? sorry if i'm being dumb but its not clear from your edit whether you can get any other frequency on dvd or the radio. can you clarify? somtimes we dont get reception on the stated frequency and have to retune. it happens a lot if we got out of our local area as other broadcasters use similar frequencies for broadcasting we can start of on say 87.7 but 50 miles from home we have to retune becuase a radio station is broadcasting on a neighbouring frequency so you get break up in the transmission or nothing at all. Why they couldnt wire the audio in directly i just dont know.

Well if its any consolation it happens on other makes of cars using the rosen systems, eg the land rover.

Last edited by Danielr; 09-30-2011 at 03:07 PM. Reason: added one more point
Old 09-30-2011, 02:57 PM

How is the reception on normal radio? If that ok check the setup in the menu.
The normal radio works OK.

you have more than one FM channel, try changing the FM channel on radio there are three i think ours works on fm2 and then tuning. try using fm frequency 87.9 or 88.3

Failing that go into the setup menu on the dvd player and check the audio ouput setting which should be "analog" , the speaker downmix should be "stereo" and the dynamic range should be "full" - this is from the manual

Failing all that. It could well be that the fm transmitter is faulty in the dvd unit so try contacting rosen for a uk service centre - info@rosenentertainment.com
or take it to Mitsi
Tried most of the available FM frequencies to no avail. Not sure which fm it is - 1, 2 or 3 but that shouldn't make a difference, but I'll check tomorrow.

Sorry to hear you have had trouble. I avoid car supermarkets, they havent a clue about the vehicles they sell. we bought ours new from a franchised dealer who after bit of haggling knocked £3k off the price.

I always go to franchised dealers, you can get good deals if you are prepared to travel and walk away, just bought a new car for myself from yorkshire even though we live in london, nearly £5k saving and they gave me 1k more for my trade in, the london dealers suddenly came up with a better deal but i told them where to go for being a bit too snobby in the first place.

We haven't had any problems (touch wood) with the Mitsi. Its a big car and comfortable on long journeys although it could have better noise insulation. The third row seats is much better than most, we were original looking at a galaxy but the last row has paper thin seats. Yes its a bit plasticky inside but then no more than its competitors.

I'm going to detail it this weekend, the paintwork has some swirls marks in it. might post a pic of the results.
Well, my Diesel Warrior was 3 years and 3 months old when I bought it for £11,000 with 36,000 on the clock. One year hence it has 43,500 on the clock. It is a nice looking car, especially in black, it's a shame that the owner experience started badly.

Still have missing door screws (and their covers) and a loose sun visor but the supermarket didn't fix these despite the car going back to them 6 times in 2 months with various issues. The main issue was the alarm going off all night for no reason at all and in the end they had to fit a new alarm after I threatened them with court proceedings.

Obviously the doors have been removed and replaced for some reason. I'll know to look more closely at a car next time I am buying one!

I paid Halfords £210 to fit their rear parking sensors as reversing into a parking space was difficult. They work well.

I'm surprised that a car of this spec didn't have a sat nav really.

Old 10-01-2011, 03:51 AM

Right ....

All frequencies tested on all 3 FM's - no luck.

Also DIGITAL SETUP was set to FULL. Changed this to OFF. There's no ANALOG mode (as stated in the manual) as such ...

The Digital Output Setting
There is a setting in the menu for a Digital Audio output under DIGITAL
SETUP. This unit does not have a digital audio output. Leave this
setting in the ANALOG mode.
Note: Enabling the Digital Audio mode disables the analog
audio output used by the FM Modulator and the IR headphones,
and can resemble a system audio failure.

Still no luck.

Can't believe my modulator and the original poster's can both be faulty? We must be doing something obviously wrong. Not worth paying for a new modulator anyway, just have to live with it.

Old 10-01-2011, 03:54 AM
Default DVD player

Try setting the DVD player to transmit at the other end of the frequency. spectrum eg 106 or 107. Depending on where you live you might have broadcasts on or near those frequencies.

the fm2 and fm3 channels are on he radio. Just press the fm button again and again to access them

there is a little panel at the back of the unit with a headphones socket and the phono inputs. Check that each of those are clear. You will have to remove the plastic cover. Kids have a habit of sticking things in holes. Try plugging somthimg like a camcorder or headphones into those sockets. Sometimes they get stuck in a mode

Failing all that try removing the unit and disconnecting the power to unit to reset it and then retry. Some of these units also have a switchable setting inside the unit to switch between fmm transmission and hard wiring the external audio source. It sounds like somthimg was done to your vehicle. The doors wouldn't be removed without reason so the unit may have been tampered with by whoever was doing the doors. You will see the antenae on the rear side window ( it looks similar to the heater strips on the tailgate)

Quick Reply: No radio reception of in-built DVD player for Grandis