Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

The radio drained the battery died in 2007 OUTLANDER LS

Old 03-09-2014, 11:12 AM
Default The radio drained the battery died in 2007 OUTLANDER LS

My 2007 outlander gave me many trouble from 2012. In 2012 winter, the driver side front coil spring broken. In 2013 winter, the radio could not hold the memory, and the battery was dead in one morning. Get it boosted and try to drove it to get the battery charged, then the right front side coil spring broken.
Thought the battery was almost 7 years, so got a new battery to put in. left it in garage. One week later, could not start. The new battery was dead. Realized something drained the battery. Because the radio didn't hold the memory, measuring the current from the battery, it took 0.78A when eveything was off. Pull the radio fuse out, it drained 0.01A. Left the car no driving for a few days without radio fuse in. It could start.
Finally, took the radio unit out of the car. put the radio fuse into the fuse box, measured the current from the battery, it took 0.01A. It is sure the radio has the problem to drain the battery.
Does anyone know how to fix the radio? Or I have to get a new radio in.
The car works without the radio unit.
What a bad luck or the poor Mitsubishi outlander!!
Thanks.

Old 03-09-2014, 12:43 PM

get a bigger battery, (or a more efficient radio!) 760 milliamps isnt much, but more than anything should drain when IT'S TURNED OFF!!
Does the radio have detachable face or security bit? Removing that may lessen its drain.

Old 03-09-2014, 04:42 PM

I have removed the radio and threw it out of the car. The car works ok but not radio.

Old 03-09-2014, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by jshi08
I have removed the radio and threw it out of the car. The car works ok but not radio.
well. Extreme, if effective.

Old 03-19-2014, 07:12 PM

I've got a 6 disc unit from my sport left over after upgrading to MMCS. Interested?

Old 10-05-2014, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by jshi08
My 2007 outlander gave me many trouble from 2012. In 2012 winter, the driver side front coil spring broken. In 2013 winter, the radio could not hold the memory, and the battery was dead in one morning. Get it boosted and try to drove it to get the battery charged, then the right front side coil spring broken.
Thought the battery was almost 7 years, so got a new battery to put in. left it in garage. One week later, could not start. The new battery was dead. Realized something drained the battery. Because the radio didn't hold the memory, measuring the current from the battery, it took 0.78A when eveything was off. Pull the radio fuse out, it drained 0.01A. Left the car no driving for a few days without radio fuse in. It could start.
Finally, took the radio unit out of the car. put the radio fuse into the fuse box, measured the current from the battery, it took 0.01A. It is sure the radio has the problem to drain the battery.
Does anyone know how to fix the radio? Or I have to get a new radio in.
The car works without the radio unit.
What a bad luck or the poor Mitsubishi outlander!!
Thanks.
Does anyone know the radio current to keep the memory when it turned off?
Trying to fix the radio. Replaced the big capacitor no effecting. Replaced the switch transistor, just applied the DC12V on the pure radio without anything connected, the current is 0.18A. Is this still too high? Can anyone tell the current when the car and the radio is off? Thanks.

Old 10-13-2014, 07:44 PM
Default The crapy radio in the 2007 outlander LS

The radio still drains a huge current when everything turned off. I have a relay and put it in so that the acc will control the relay to provide the 12v to the stereo when the key in and cutoff the 12v when the key out. This will keep the clock working but the radio not keeping the memory. It stops the stereo draining the battery. This is the cheapest way if you don't want to spend money for a new stereo.