Detailing Discuss detailing your ride inside and out here.

Interior detailing*dial up warning*

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 12:52 PM
Default Interior detailing*dial up warning*

My interior never really had a proper, full detail. I've taken my seats out to vacuum the carpets, etc. but never really washed them. I finally made the time for it and am extremely impressed by the results.

Tools:
  • 14 mm wrench
  • Steam cleaner
  • Wet/dry vac
  • Set of scrubbing brushes
  • Carpet shampoo
  • Glass cleaner
  • Meguiar's Carpet and Interior Cleaner
  • Sandalwood fabric freshener

Additional "Expenses":
  • Sore, busted back
  • Bruised knee
  • Extremely sore arms

My first step was to remove all the seats and take them down to my basement. Next, I cleaned my headliner. This took a good 45 minutes, and I've never seen a cloth get that dirty so fast...I had to use 6. My method of cleaning was simple, and did not do any damage to the headliner. I sprayed some quality glass cleaner and rubbed it off with a cotton cloth. I did this 3 times until there was no longer any dirt transfer to the cloths I was using.

Next was the carpet. Using my steam cleaner, I let loose all the dirt and vacuumed with a wet/dry vac. After inspecting the carpet, I reckoned it did not really require to be shampooed as the difference was night and day with the steam cleaner.

Afterwards, it was the most difficult part. The seats were so dirty, since they were not washed in 9 years, that they had to be steam cleaned, and washed with carpet shampoo. Looking at the container of my vacuum cleaner, all I could see was mud. After this step, I cleaned it again with Meguiar's Carpet and Interior Cleaner. The cloth has a pattern on it, which had disappeared over the years. Now that pattern was back again, and the seats literally look brand new now.

As a final step, I cleaned all the interior plastics, etc. and bolted everything back on. As a final touch, I sprayed fabric freshener and everything was as good as new. This point on, this will be a yearly ritual to avoid getting it that dirty again in future.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:54 PM

*Late reply

That's a good work right there, i need a steam cleaner as well, and yeah seats tend to get really bad, my eclipse also had no pattern on the seats anymore, and after a detailing i could see the little triangle thingies on it.
If you clean the dashboard industrial alcohol or wd40 could well help you get rid of the gunk, and then some leather/plastic moisturizer would give it the perfect ultimate finish.