Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!

'01 Montero Sport Transmission Disengaging

Old 08-06-2017, 01:53 AM
Default '01 Montero Sport Transmission Disengaging

Hey guys, recently my Montero Sport won't go into gear, or will shift out of gear and back in to neutral. Usually it happens from idle. I'll accelerate but the car just revs up, forcing me to stop completely before it jumps back in to gear (sometimes rather harshly, sometimes smoothly). I pulled the codes and got a P0740 (TCC Solenoid). After some research (there is incredibly little information on this part of this car) I was fairly confident I could replace the solenoid; however, after replacing it the problem still persists. I take it there are two scenarios for why this is

1. I replaced the incorrect solenoid. After dropping the trans pan and taking off the filter, I found five solenoids - a row of four, a space, and a then a final solenoid. I replaced the first solenoid in the group of four, closest to the front of the car. So if we imagine each "O" as a solenoid.

O OOOO<---I replaced this one.

Is that the correct one? I was working off a manual that my dad found online, that unfortunately I am unable to re-find.

2. The problem is not actually the solenoid. Before I go any further, I want to note that I did replace the ATF, filter, and gasket during the job. Is there any other issues that come with these symptoms?

Thanks for any information you have for me!