Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

02 Montero Sport stuck in 3rd gear

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 09:17 AM
Default 02 Montero Sport stuck in 3rd gear

Hi folks, newbie here - I found this forum hopefully to get some guidance. Our 02 Montero Sport XLS has 130k, and one day we realized that it didn't pull out in traffic with it's normal 1st,2nd,3rd,4th shift pattern. It didn't take long to figure out that it most likely is 3rd that it is stuck in.

Long story short - we had a mechanic ponder over it for two weeks, he changed the "brain" computer with a junkyard one. That didn't work. A dealer also changed the brain with a used one...no change. We then had a reputable transmission shop check the transmission, and he said everything is working fine with the transmission internals - it must be a sensor or something skewing the signals sent to the trans. Incidentally, around the time this started the radio began acting funny,and lost it's back light - now the entire radio itself only functions intermittently. And - we lost the "shift Indicator Light" as well. Are we talking a phantom 'short' somewhere?

We have since parked it, as we have another car to drive.

I'm ok with American cars, but this is my first foray into foreign auto troubleshooting. Any ideas, or steps i can take to begin the process of elimination? Thank you.

Old 07-26-2014, 07:24 PM

Any thoughts??

Old 07-28-2014, 11:25 PM

Do you have any warning lights on the dashboard ? I have a Maxi Diag code reader which plugs into the OBD11 socket and reads all fault codes which then tells you what the fault is and the you can then fix the problem/s and retest to see if the fault codes have been cleared

Hope this help you

Ps: Iam in Sydney Australia and have a 2001 Mitsubishi Challenger 2001