Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1997 Eclipse transmission swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 10:14 AM
Default 1997 Eclipse transmission swap

Greetings;

I am somewhat new to this forum. I was a member a few years ago but stopped using the site. Now I am back asking for advice on my 1997 Eclipse.

The car has been sitting in the driveway dead for about 2 years with a broken #1 connecting rod. So now I am inspired to turn this into a track / solo-II car. I have many questions but before I embark on this odyssey I am planning a transmission swap.

This car now has a 2.0L I-4 420A engine with automatic transmission. I want to put in a manual. So far all the people I have asked say it is too much of a task and I should junk the car instead. But that advice comes in "general" terms from people that comment on a generic transmission swap. None have experience specific to Eclipse.

Does anyone have advice that is relevant to the 1997 eclipse with the 420A? any advice will help and probably save me time and trouble. Should I even try? What are the big tasks? How about shift linkage and adding a clutch pedal?

let me know if this post belongs in another topic area.

Many Thanks.
SID / Atlanta

Old 08-28-2011, 02:00 PM

if you have a car to remove all the parts from it will work. you will have a check engine light on because the ecm thinks there should be an auto trans. not sure if you can change the ecm and everything will be fine. I havent tried that, but I have put an auto trans ecm into a car with a manuak trans and the check eng light came on with auro trans codes but ran fine.