Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!

52MM Gauges

Old 03-03-2008, 10:35 AM
Default 52MM Gauges

Ok guys and gals, i've got an automatic '04 lancer, it's stock with the exception of the 2 12" subs and the 1000W amp in the trunk. Anywaysi want to add some gauges to give me a better idea of what's going on under the hood so that i can limp home or to the mechanic before a little problem turns into a catastrophy. I'm gettinga voltmeter for sure, but i'm kinda up in the air about 2 others.

I was contemplating air/fuel, but since the car is stock it will most likely have a narrowband O2 sensor and i've been told that air/fuel gauges only give accurate readings with narrowband sensors in the stoich ranges so it might be pointless to get one.Which leaves me with oil pressure, oil temperature. Now onto the real question, since i'm operating on a budget i'm considering JDM, Prosport and Glowshiftgauges all of which i've been told work well. JDM has the lowest price, but i like the prosport gauge cups, since i'm not to thrilled about the idea of drilling holes in the dash and Prosport cupscan rotate and swivel up and down AND i haven't been able to find any A-pillar gauge pods for right hand drive lancers.

So...do any of u guys know if JDM gauges would fit in Prosport gauge cups?
Anyone know how the gauge cups that are stuck on with adhesive look? (hopefully not tacky)
Anyone know if JDM sending units need frequent replacement?
Would the air/fuel gauge really be pointless with a narrowband O2 sensor?
Which is more important to keep and eye on, oil pressure or oil temperature and why?

Thanks for any advice given

Old 03-04-2008, 08:04 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 52MM Gauges

oil pressure is more important to keep an eye on. And a narrow band a/f gauge is totally useless. So id say Volts is good, oil pressure, and either water temperature or EGT are good.

Old 03-04-2008, 08:28 AM

I thought about getting a water temp gauge as well, but then i'm not sure ifthe temperature gauge on the dash monitors that? (Please correct me if i'm wrong).

On the EGT, i figured that since the car NA and gas is too pricey for spirited driving (my engine lives @ 2000 RPM ), that the exhaust temp wouldn't be a vital thing to keep track off (again correct me if i'm wrong).

Old 03-04-2008, 09:42 AM
Super Moderator

Your pretty much right on both accounts. I mean on an NA car there really arnt many guages that you "need". The water temp will be alittle more accurate than the stock one, but like you said, not all that necessary. And the EGT's will probably never get too hot, but lets just say for some reason your car isnt running correctly and the problem is actually that the air sensor is off or the fuel lines are clogged. This may cause a lean condition in which youll notice in increase in the EGT's. That would be one case where it "might" be used. But once again its not really critical to have.

Old 03-04-2008, 10:37 AM

ok so quick question, what would be the difference between the water temp and the oil temp? would a high reading in one be reflected in a high reading in the other? and would the oil temp more accurately reflect trouble with the engine whereas the water temp would reflect problems with the engine / radiator / general cooling system (excluding the oil of course)