Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!

93 eclipse starting/idle problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 12:23 AM
Default RE: 93 eclipse starting/idle problem

Well, the type of oil I use would not have an effect on my car dying when i start it but I do use conventional 10w-30 like the factory specs recommend. I changed the wires and plugs and it seems to run a little smoother. Thats most likely due to my plugs since they looked kinda cruddy. The problem of my car dying when it starts hasnt gone away so I need to fix that still. It hasnt died recently but it keeps going down to 500-600rpm when i start it which should not be happening. Perhaps there is some sensor that controls the idle at cold start or idle speed sensor of some sort. Any suggestions would help greatly.

Old 08-29-2007, 07:19 AM

K, before you get too carried away racking your brain, did you check your throttle body? ie: take off the hose between your air cleaner and your throttle body, look inside and see if the throttle plate is dirty, if it looks black or dark in color, buy some air intake cleaner and use and old toothbrush. Spray the cleaner on the old toothbrush, open the throttle by hand and scrub the bore and the plate as best you can, and wipe out with a cloth afterwards, don't spray directly into the throttle opening as depending on what type of chemical you have it make screw up your IAC. Also while you have the hose off your throttle check it for any cracks (may not be there, cracks usually cause a surging and bucking effect). Put your hose back onto the throttle body and the air cleaner. Look under your hood for the MPI maxi fuse, should be a blue 20 amp one. Remove the fuse, leave out for about 30 seconds or so to reset your computer to virgin or as close to it as it will go. Reinstall the fuse and start up your car, it may require holding the gas a bit to get it initially goin. run car for a few minutes, then shut it off and see how it fires up etc. I have done soo many throttle body cleans over the years on mitsubishi engines, for irratic idles and stalling at lights and hard start etc. its not even funny. I have learned over the years how effective it is. Good Luck

Old 08-29-2007, 07:23 AM

I have seen alot of techs try to sell a $300 IAC motor and find out that replacing the motor didn't change a thing and well once you plug in the connector you boughtit and can't return. I won't make any promises that the throttle body clean will fix the car completely, but I am pretty sure it will. Besides for the $5 for a can of air intake cleaner, what have you got to loose?