Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

96 auto gst lots wrong

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 01:36 PM
Default 96 auto gst lots wrong

Hey everyone, my cousin has a 96 auto gst. he is on his fourth since buying the car a few years ago. whoever had the car before him took off the rev limiter. the car is also leaking oil down the front of the engine. i believe its a head gasket but i cant see cause the manifold and turbo are in the way however i can see the oil on top of the downpipe. it also sounds like the engine is knocking. it has been sounding like that for almost a year now.

my question, could the not having a rev limiter screw the engine up that bad? i pulled the ecu and opened it up but there were not any seals on the ecu on my honda they have seals on the outside so you know if it has been tampered with, do these not have this?

the knock what could that be? do auto gsts have lots of engine problems? i know the 4g63 isnt the most stable engine, everyone i know with a gst has had their engine break at least once, but 4 times just seems a bit ridiculous. it does have a bigger turbo on it.

the transmission also wont go into gear properly everytime. for instance if you put it into reverse it acts like its in nuetral, you put it back into nuetral and then back into revers and it will work just fine. also sometimes the car seems like it needs to go into another gear and it wont go. the tranny fluid is full. could this be a speed sensor?

Sorry for all the questions, i am used to my honda and being able to diagnose it(well at least better than this) but Im so new to this engine and i hate going to a shop cause i like to do it myself, hehe. any help would be great! thanks!

Old 06-27-2009, 09:01 AM

well id say just start replacing things. find a used ecu in good condition cause that might be causing the tranny problems and can be causing the engine to get screwed up as well. if you have ever rebuilt an engine id say rebuild one completely and drop it in cuz if its done right it should last a long time. my buddy had a tsi awd and it had 160k miles on it with a big 16g turbo and other stuff on 20lbs of boost and it had no problems. as far as the rev limiter thing, yea thats bad. over revving will cause valve floating and screw up the engine unless you had dual or triple valve springs. i dont trust that the person who had it before did that to it cuz they probably didnt know what they were doing.