Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'96 Talon alternator issues?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 09:28 PM
Exclamation '96 Talon alternator issues?

This is a bit of a hard thing to explain. I've got myself a 1996 Eagle Talon. Now, as many know, most Talons have Mitsubishi motors. Which means Mitsubishi parts.

Recently, my car's alternator took a crap. Now this wasn't the first time. This was the fifth time in the last two years.

Whenever the alternator begins to lose power, it begins to cut power to various applications, such as the radio, horn, lights, etc. This, I know, is normal.

But to have this happen several times? That's not normal. The latest alternator was a dealership alternator, and it's lasted a good while. I'm thinking there might be a short somewhere, however. And I'm not sure where to look or what to do. Whenever it starts cutting power, the ABS light on the dash will turn on. Why?

No clue. Maybe you do?

Things that must be running for this problem to occur (normally): Headlights, fog lights, radio, cruise control, and I must be hitting the brakes and in drive.

Lastly, the most recent issues began after I had front end body repairs. I pulled too far into a parking spot, and when I backed out, it ripped the front fender, and the fog light was hanging by it's wires. Could that contribute to this problem I'm having?