Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 Mitsu Sport Knocking when cold

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2005, 07:16 PM
Default 98 Mitsu Sport Knocking when cold

I have had my Mitsu Sport since I bought it new in 98. It now has 150,000 miles on it and i am getting this knocking from the engine(sounds like pistons rubbing) when i first start it up. The knocking goes away after about 3 min or so and then it runs great. I was told to use a heavier weight oil, that didnt work. I was told to try some Lucas with next oil change, that didnt work. I am being told know by this person and that person that it could be the oil pump or I might need a new engine. I dont think it neds a new engine. Anyone have this problem with their 98 Sport? Anyone have any suggestions?

Old 09-26-2005, 05:04 AM
Default RE: 98 Mitsu Sport Knocking when cold

You need to have someone determine whether the noise is coming from the top or lower half of the engine. At 150k, the lower end of your engine should still be quite strong. My guess is that it is coming from your lifters. If your oil is old an dirty, a simple oil change can eliminate the ticking noise. I'd strongly suggest you use a factory filter as this has proven to eliminate many cold start lifter tick with similar complaints posted on other forums. Good Luck!

Joel, CA
Diamond Star Certified Smog Techncian

Old 09-26-2005, 06:24 PM
Administrator
Default RE: 98 Mitsu Sport Knocking when cold

hmm..if those have hydraulic lifters, it could be that they have gotten worn out, and they arent building up until they get hot...when i start my car, it has a little lifter noise until they build up..it could be ALOT of things...who told you to put heavier oil in it? a mechanic? until the engine falls apart, you never really need a new engine, but you may need some new components...