Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!

99 gst intercooler piping and rough idle

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 12:04 AM
Default 99 gst intercooler piping and rough idle

Hey Im a new member and just bought a 99 gst. Really clean car, but the previous owners just put in a intercooler and the piping went underneath the engine, so in a position to get scraped easily on bumps and such. And pretty much knocked the pipe out, he has a pipe with a 2" diameter conecting to the 3" pipes coming off the intercooler connected togther. The joint doesnt seem to tightly go around the 2" diameter so the guy put some duct tape to increase the 2" diameter pipe. Is there a better joint I can use to connect the two pipes togther? My idle oscillates between 200 to 700 rpm, is this bc of the intercooler piping? or a different reason? and they guy said he put in a racing clutch in. But seems like the clutch travel is too short (just have to push it down about a inch or so), and I can go into different gears w/o pressing in the clutch. Is this normal? Sorry im not really all that mechanically inclined, but willing to learn and do some ofthe work though

Old 03-12-2008, 09:49 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 99 gst intercooler piping and rough idle

I believe this is what you are looking for to get the transition
http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/me...y_Code=SIL-TRN

And the idle surge could definetly be that because a leak will cause that type of problem.

As far as the clutch goes, usually when a new clutch is put in that is aftermarket you may need to adjust the pedal to have a correct grabbing point. There is a rod behind the clutch pedal. on the end of the rod toward the firewall is a nut. Simply loosen the nut and turn the rod. I cant remember which way you need to turn it to make the grabbing point lower. But just try out different ways to see which way is correct. Once you have it where you want it just retighten the nut

Old 03-12-2008, 11:53 AM
Default RE: 99 gst intercooler piping and rough idle

Thanks man ill check that out, something to do on spring break now haha