Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 Mirage 1.5 stalls at complete stops

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 10:04 PM
Default 99 Mirage 1.5 stalls at complete stops

Well this just started today. My car has always kind of idled off, but never to the point where it would stall. Today it started where I would pull up a stop sign or redlight and when I completely stop the car stalls on me. I have the clutch all the way down and it's almost instant when it happens. Sometimes I can see the lights on the dash start to come up but it doesn't, and very rarely it's fine. The only thing different from before is today I put a 600w Alpine amplifier in, but I even turned the CD player completely off and it still happened. Any suggestions? No SES light or anything like that at all.

Old 11-16-2006, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 99 Mirage 1.5 stalls at complete stops

ussually idle problems attribute to a bad sensor, either the idle air control (IAC), or the throttle position sensor (TPS) but sincs you dont have a CEL i cant see either being the case or it would have thrown a code. What RPM does your car idle at normally, i mean when you say its always a little 'Off'. Does the idle kinda fluctuate? One easy thing to do is to clean the throttle body. Its a free thing to check anyway. Also i would check you battery terminals. Sometimes a bad terminal can do that, becuase it wont give the full juice. I know that one from experience. I had the car towed cuz it wouldnt stay idling without gas, and i come to find the negative was terribly corroded. So even if they dont appear too bad you might as well try that too since its only like 8-10 bucks for two terminals

Old 11-16-2006, 11:11 PM
Default RE: 99 Mirage 1.5 stalls at complete stops

I wish I could tell you RPM but for some reason Mitsubishi thought it would be a great idea to have a manual without a tach lol Although I like it because I learned how to drive manual without one, so I can pretty much drive anything now. It didn't do it at all today so I have no idea what was going on yesterday...