Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!

Back up camera not working.

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 04:48 PM
Default Back up camera not working.

Hello everyone!

I have a 2014 Mitsubishi Outlander GT that was purchased brand new 3 years ago. My back up camera suddenly stopped working and I took it in and they said it was no longer under warranty, and I needed to replace the entire radio and everything since it was integrated. My issue is that the radio, bluetooth and everything still work fine, so I'm confused as to why the back up camera would just decide to stop working. They said it would cost $825 to replace it, but it's only 3 years old and I don't think it should have crapped out this soon. I'm super confused. Any advice or trouble shooting that maybe it could be? Thanks

Old 06-03-2017, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by ajkhodge
Hello everyone!

I have a 2014 Mitsubishi Outlander GT that was purchased brand new 3 years ago. My back up camera suddenly stopped working and I took it in and they said it was no longer under warranty...
Thanks. Good to know about this

Old 03-26-2018, 04:32 PM
Default Never getting a Mitsubishi again. Poor customer service

I have the same issue with my back up camera and they also told me that I would need to replace my entire radio "head" to fix the issue. Mine is also a 2014 and no longer under warranty for that. Rhey wanted $1700 to change out the radio and also charged me $200 to look at it and tell me they couldn't fix it.

I also want to point out that a week after getting my Outlander the radio went completely quiet and no volume came out. I tried changing the station, making a call, etc, and nothing. Then when I got to my destination and restarted my car it started working. I notified the dealership about this because I thought there was an issue. They pretty much said "nope, it must have been the radio station.
". They treated me like a dumb girl..... I have also complained about the back up camera going completely dark at times before it went out. Again, it only happened a hard full of times but since we couldn't get it to do it at the dealership, we were making it up.

oh, and we ordered our car in black and actually bought it before it arrived. When we got it home the next day we realized that the taillight was cracked. We let them know and they brushed it off. Never offered to fix it and acted like we must have crashed into something.

We have also had the Outlander not start 3 times now. We had it towed and it started when it got to the dealership. Every time this happened they would say "we don't know what you were doing wrong, it started for us" we talked to a mechanic the last time and he said it is experiencing "Vapor Lock"....... Why is my new car having vapor lock issues? We do all if the oil changes, maintenance, etc.

One more thing! I almost forgot. I had to have the brakes changed recently. They said that the rotor was warped and causing damage. They also said they are seeing this a lot with newer Mitsubishi's..... ugh

I have always liked Mitsubishi, but unfortunately this has been very disappointing for us and we probably won't buy from them again.

Old 03-28-2018, 04:21 PM

Did anybody resolve this issue of reversing camera without replacing the head unit ?

Old 07-03-2018, 09:44 AM

Just started experiencing the problem. I haven't really looked into it but was rather upset when I called the dealership and the first thing he said was "replace the radio" and then dropped the "NOT everything is covered in the bumper to bumper. The car is but not the radio."
Sounds to me as if this is known to them and they have an automatic response. mentioned going with an Aftermarket radio, which adds more proof to my theory this is a known issue with the OEM radio camera.

Old 10-28-2018, 07:57 PM
Default Same problem !

Hi there,
We are in the exact same boat with car year and issue. Did you ever figure out a way to get it done cheaper or did you go with dealer recommendation ?

Originally Posted by ajkhodge
Hello everyone!

I have a 2014 Mitsubishi Outlander GT that was purchased brand new 3 years ago. My back up camera suddenly stopped working and I took it in and they said it was no longer under warranty, and I needed to replace the entire radio and everything since it was integrated. My issue is that the radio, bluetooth and everything still work fine, so I'm confused as to why the back up camera would just decide to stop working. They said it would cost $825 to replace it, but it's only 3 years old and I don't think it should have crapped out this soon. I'm super confused. Any advice or trouble shooting that maybe it could be? Thanks

Old 06-10-2019, 12:09 PM

I have the same problem on a 2013 Outlander. Works intermittently. Gives me a blue screen before shutting down.