Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Back-Up Camera Solution

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 09:37 PM
Default Back-Up Camera Solution

I think I found a good solution for adding a backup camera to the Outlander:

http://www.roadmasterusa.com/backupcamera_vr3.php

Simple to install, cheap, and can hang on the back of your shade.

Old 03-27-2007, 11:41 PM
Default RE: Back-Up Camera Solution

yeah, but the only problem is that most people that have the nav unit, want their back-up camera to work through the stock screen, not have yet another moniter on their dash...
But this would work for those of us who didnt get the nav system... but where would we put the screen...?

Old 03-28-2007, 01:19 AM

Theres a batrillion of them units with their own screen. The people want to over come the challenge of hooking it up to their indash navigation screen.

Old 03-28-2007, 01:23 AM

Ihave the safest and cheapest solution to back-uppen up your eyes, look around you, look into the side and rear view mirrors,back-up carefully and you will do just fine.
I have been using this method for many years with 100% rate of success. No additional equipment required.

Old 03-28-2007, 02:10 AM

ORIGINAL: dodo2

Ihave the safest and cheapest solution to back-uppen up your eyes, look around you, look into the side and rear view mirrors,back-up carefully and you will do just fine.
I have been using this method for many years with 100% rate of success. No additional equipment required.

You just opened yourself up for a lashing.

Old 03-28-2007, 02:38 AM

ORIGINAL: antlip

ORIGINAL: dodo2

You just opened yourself up for a lashing.
That's fine, but just let me know what's wrong with my solution.

Old 03-28-2007, 03:24 AM

First off- dodo2, stay out of the thread unless you have something intelligent to contribute. You don't know what it's like having a backup cam until you've used one.

Second- to soundcolor, you can hang this screen on the inside of your sun shade, just as I pointed out in the first post. You don't have to have it on your dash at all.

Third- I know people want the camera through their existing NAV. There is a very intelligent thread going on about it right now and even the main person behind that, who is doing quite a lot of DIY to get it accomplished, cannot get it to work yet, or even hooked up. I would love to have my backup cam work this way as well, although I don't have the time, money, or patience, or tech know-how for it, much like many of the people on these forums. This is why I have pointed out a simple solution like this one which I can appreciate, and I'm sure many others will too.

Old 03-28-2007, 03:36 AM

I was actually thinking if its possible to hack the signal from the VR3 receiver and hook it up the AUX video terminal. But since I'm not skilled in electronics, I'm just presenting the idea. You can get one of this at Costco for 90$. The good thing about the VR3 is that you don't need to wire the rear cam to the display because it's wireless, however, this creates problems especially if you have cellphones near the display causing interference with the signal.

Old 03-28-2007, 03:52 AM

Yeah I was one of thos who thought what a gimmick - that;s what mirrors and shoulder turning are for. But I tell you, like any other techical, safety, etc improvenments, once used to them they become indispensible. We bought an 06 Honda Odyssey loaded to the **** - Nav system, backup camera, front and rear parking sensors, heated seats, memory seat and window adjustments, etc.etc. etc. Point is when I was looking at the OUtie thos things were imprtant to me and I wanted as many of them as I could find either stock or aftermarket. Hey if you don't use them, no worries. FOr those of us who see the benefits, we are the ones searching for a solution.

PS - Now that I have one-touch self-cancelling lane change signals, I don't know how I lived without them - in fact if I have to drive the van, I do nothing but cut people off inadvertenly![sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 03-28-2007, 10:08 AM

wow, wow, wow....
Just a second. I am going to go with Dodo here. usually, you are a dodo, but this time, i think you are on to something. The outie is not that big in the firstplace, and it has great visability. If you really want to show off, TURN YOUR HEAD AROUND, AND DRIVE WHILE LOOKING OUT THE BACK WINDOW...
As for the monitor mounting to the visors
Thats all great and everything, except for the fact that The outlanders visors are notoriously small, and weak. Hell, I could have built better sun visors with card-board, and elmers glue. LOL, Not to mention, the visors will barely hold themselves up when you add one of those cd-visor things to it, they just dont have the spring compacity, nor do they do well when they have to try to stay "almost" closed.
So, I dont see mounting the screen to the visor as a viable alternative.

Besides, its still one more thing you are going to have to do. The idea with an intergrated back-up camera is that it switches on automatically when the car goes into reverse. Thus taking the need for pushing any buttons, or flipping a visor, and throwing out the window.
I think what everyone is wanting is a WELL INTERGRATED SOLUTION. One that will allow them the capability to have their back-up camera, and one that will force it to play throught their factory NAV system screen, and one that comes on automatically when the reverse gear is selected, and goes back off when in any other gear.

I agree whole heartedly with the whole "back-up camera" arguement, they are great, and help alot, but IMHO do you really need that, or do you just want that? In a huge van, yeah, maybe you need it, An oversized Jumbo xtreme SUV, yeah maybe you do... In the outie... not so much

Quick Reply: Back-Up Camera Solution