Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!

beefing up my galant

Old 09-03-2005, 01:38 PM
Qs
Default beefing up my galant

Hey guys,

first of all , i have to say its great being a mitsubishi owner , these cars have style!!!. Anyway i bought my 2002 galant 'scraped' from new york , i got it up here , changed all the parts for new ones , did most of the work myself , it has a new timing belt , new head gasket , new radiator , new motor mounts , new valves, most of the front is new, the motor is the 2.4 one and automatic transmission (tis my shame )
the engine has only 45 000 miles .

Ok so most of the mods i did were on the body, and wheels , and im starting the motor and performance issues , i already have a header and muffler installed , but still need the straight pipe to complete the exhaust system , now keep in mind i work in a bank so im not a mechanic, but like i said i did the rebuilding most of it myself . i got rid of the stock air intake and replaced it with a peeflow and a fan i custom made in front of it. the rest is stock but new.

now i already bought a cool shot dry nitrous kit, but im not too sure how to install it, and since its illegal up here , i cant get it installed by a pro, i got some guys that know lots of mechanics but the older kind , which were not fuel injections. its the kind of kit with a gun that u insert the tank in it, so i simply pull the trigger and 1 shot is shot into the intake. each tank is 30 shots. now i looked on the web and saw a lot of intake that blew up coz of nitrous , but i believe they were all big gains like 100 or more.

i would like to know if u have any suggestions about what i should do before installing the kit.
it is a small nitrous kit i think gives about 30 to 50 hp gain . I was told i will have to retard the timing by a bit. maybe upgrade my computer.

anyway if anyone has any nitrous kit at all , tips would be appreciated
il^post some pics of the car soon (damn scanner is broken [X(][&o] )

Old 09-03-2005, 05:56 PM
Default RE: beefing up my galant

Be carefull with it... You could end up putting a new motor in your car... I personally am staying away from nitrous...

Old 09-04-2005, 07:52 PM
Qs

well the new motor would be nice, 3.8 L with manual transmission!!(finnaly)

but the kit i have isnt very strong , its merely a 30 to 50 HP gain , nothing compared to the 100 to 300 Hp gains of the wet and direct nitrous.

the really neat trick about the kit is the trigger gun , the tanks are good for 30 shots each , the kit came with 10 tanks , they are about 1,5 cm wide and 5 cm high. ,

anyway , if anyone has any experience with nitrous kit on your mitsubishi plz let me know

Old 09-07-2005, 04:02 AM

I am confused about your new motor. This is a USDM Galant correct and not JDM? What motor are you putting into it that is 3.8L?

Old 09-07-2005, 07:30 PM
Qs

well , when i went to dealer to get the radiator support , they had the 2002 galant gts , when i asked they told me it was 3 . 8 L and the mitsubishi website says 3.8 L so i just believed them.

But i do not have the new motor in fact my 2.4 is still new, and i strongly doubt my kit will blow the intake ,

it should be out the shop tonight so i can post ya some pics of it

Only JDM part on my galant are the healights,

anyway if any of u has any tips about the nitro , plz post it

thanks!!!!

Old 09-07-2005, 07:52 PM

Sorry but I would go to a new dealership. Only two avaiable engines for the Galant in 2002. The I4 4G64 and the V6 6G72 which is only a 3.0L and your better off turbocharging your 4G64 instead of dropping the 6G72 into your engine bay.

Old 09-10-2005, 08:45 PM
Qs

Well , thats good to know,

deep inside i wanted to change to the v6 model but it seems i shouldnt, and my car is finnaly out he body shop!!!

a turbo charger really sounds nice but will have to wait next summer, i dont even know how much they cost???

and about the nitrous kit? , anything i should know???

Old 09-20-2005, 08:59 AM
Qs

Well the nitrous kit, is installed, so if any of u have any questions feel free to ask.
pics should be up this week