Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!

a/c compressor intermittent

Old 08-18-2009, 08:51 PM
Default a/c compressor intermittent

Hello. I'm new to this forum and am hoping for some helpfull advice. I have a 2001 Galant sedan, with a 2.4 engine.

My a/c works only now and then, when it does it's plenty cold. I've checked the fuse, ok, i checked the a/c relay and even swapped it with the horn relay (same numbers), seems ok. I checked the connection that tells the a/c compressor clutch to engage, seems ok. After checking all these things and cleaning the connections sometimes the a/c will work, sometimes not. My wife took the car to the mall today (in the 90's) and the a/c worked fine. When she was ready to come home, no a/c. This has happened several times. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks, Jim

Old 08-19-2009, 10:48 PM
Default a/c compressor intermittent

hello again. i'd like to add one more piece of information to my post/thread. we've had a major (for us) heat wave for the last several days, in the 90's. it seems that when the car is used a lot during the day the a/c just shuts down, which it did again today. BUT, late this evening, and a lot cooler, i started the car up and the a/c worked fine again. this is without doing anything to the car today. Any ideas?

Old 08-20-2009, 07:39 AM
Super Moderator

when you say it doesnt work do you mean that its pushing just hot air, or that it doesnt do anything at all?

Old 08-20-2009, 12:15 PM

if its just shooting hot air, it just needs a lil bit of a "boost" go to an autoparts store and get u some refrigerant and a hose(make sure u have a guage) and add some to your system. be sure not to go over 55-60psi on the low pressure side. the hose u buy from the autoparts store should only fit on the low pressure side. it is the smaller of the 2 fittings that come off ur a/c lines. start the car. run the a/c full blast on recirc and hook up ur hose with the can of stuff attached. then fill to said psi and u should be good. when it gets hotter out the refrigerant expands and it takes more to make the same amount of pressure as when it was cooler out. i used to work at autozone and this would happen all the time to the old peoples cars.

Old 08-21-2009, 02:43 PM
Default a/c compressor intermittant

jason and TheEngineer: Right, when the a/c is not working it just blows hot air. I'll take the advice and get a can of refrigerant, etc.. I've done a fair amount of work on cars in my lifetime but never on a/c's. I'll let you know how it all worked out, perhaps in a week or two.
thanks, jim