Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!

Car Shudders While Accelerating or Climbing Hills - Only at Highway Speed...

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 11:29 AM
Default Car Shudders While Accelerating or Climbing Hills - Only at Highway Speed...

This is my first post, so be gentle ... I have a 2004 Chrysler Sebring Coupe, (I know, I know ) which was designed and built by Mitsubishi for Chrysler. Anyway, it has the Mitsu 6G72 3.0L engine and Mitsu F4A51 Transmission. I'm experiencing a shudder whenclimbing hills, even if moderate, and when accelerating, but this only happens at highway speeds and while accelerating to highway speed. At lower speeds and from a standing start, acceleration is completely normal with no shudder whatsoever

Here's what's been done so far:
[ul][*]New plugs - NGK Iridium[*]Had the Chrysler garage check for engine and transmission codes (intermittent MAF code only)[*]Rotated tires[*]Replaced transmission fluid - Mitsu SPIII[*]Cleaned throttle body[*]Used injector cleaner - Techron[*]New air filter[/ul]
One "oddity" that I did notice while changing the plugs wasdark "stains" between the intake ports on the gasket,intake plenum, andintake manifold. I don't know if this indicates leakage between the port or not? I did clean the surfaces of all three items thoroughly before reassembly.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Scott

Old 12-20-2006, 02:10 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Car Shudders While Accelerating or Climbing Hills - Only at Highway Speed...

tires need to be balanced maybe. Does it do it when your on the highway at a constant speed or only when accelerating?

Old 12-20-2006, 02:20 PM
Default RE: Car Shudders While Accelerating or Climbing Hills - Only at Highway Speed...

Only when accelerating or climbing a hill...

Old 12-20-2006, 08:03 PM

its a shuddering torque converter clutch.
you need to have the transaxle FLUSHED COMPLETELY, using ONLY mitsu trans fluid. Nothing else should be used.

Old 12-20-2006, 10:18 PM

I've already flushed the transmission with 13 qts of Mitsubishi SPIII ATF, no change... However, I was looking things over this evening and discovered that the lower motor mount, which transfers the torque from the engine to the frame, has a huge rip in it. Could this be the cause of the problem?

Thanks!

Old 12-21-2006, 12:23 AM

BTW, I also had the wheels balanced today, no change...

Does the Transaxle have to be power flushed or is a simple fluid replacement (following recommended procedures of course) adequate?

Old 12-21-2006, 06:15 PM

power flushed.

it really sounds like a torque converter shudder. Does this condition happen immeadiately after a cold start, or does it take awhile? I ask because the torque converter clutch doesnt engage until the trans reaches about 140 degrees, so the shuddering issue may not be present until 5-10 minutes into your drive cycle.

how many miles are on your car?
Also, if it is infact torque converter shudder, a total fluid change usually takes care of it. But in a few percent of the situations a new converter MAY be needed (although I have yet to see that actually happen).
heres a small sample of the TSB about it.

Old 12-21-2006, 09:42 PM

^^ I would say that, that about covers it, lol.

Old 12-22-2006, 01:25 AM

Manybrews, thanks for the information!!! The problem occurs onlywhen the transaxle warms up. The car has ~128,000 (nearly all highway, 70mph+) miles on it. I did a completefluid change earlier this week (with Mitsubishi SPIII) with no change to the problem.

As I stated earlier, this is essentially a Mitsubishi with a Chrysler logo on it. I had the fluid replaced by the dealership at 50,000 and 100,000 miles. I'm starting to think that they may have installed Chrysler ATF +4 instead the required SPIII. Bottom line, I'm going to take it to a Mitsubishi dealership next week to have the Transaxle completely flushed and fresh SPIII installed (darn, I hate to dump $85 worth ATF I just installed). How much does this typically cost?

Thanks again.

Old 12-22-2006, 10:07 PM

ORIGINAL: SDRaymond

Manybrews, thanks for the information!!! The problem occurs onlywhen the transaxle warms up. The car has ~128,000 (nearly all highway, 70mph+) miles on it. I did a completefluid change earlier this week (with Mitsubishi SPIII) with no change to the problem.

As I stated earlier, this is essentially a Mitsubishi with a Chrysler logo on it. I had the fluid replaced by the dealership at 50,000 and 100,000 miles. I'm starting to think that they may have installed Chrysler ATF +4 instead the required SPIII. Bottom line, I'm going to take it to a Mitsubishi dealership next week to have the Transaxle completely flushed and fresh SPIII installed (darn, I hate to dump $85 worth ATF I just installed). How much does this typically cost?

Thanks again.
probably around 200 bucks.

I realize its a chrysler badged mitsu; Ive worked for mitsu for 15 years.

the milage on it almost assures it to be torque converter shudder.

Quick Reply: Car Shudders While Accelerating or Climbing Hills - Only at Highway Speed...