Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing brake pads...

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 10:16 PM
Default Changing brake pads...

Hi, this is the only place that I thought this issue might be looked at and actually fit in the topic.

I own a 2001 Mitsubishi Galant GTZ. I want to be able to change my own oil and my own brake pads. I tried to search for Auto repair manuals but a lot of sites seemed to just be there to get money from google ads...other sites wanted 8 dollars a week for a subscription. Unfortunately I just got out of college and am waaaay to broke to be buying any subscriptions, so I was wondering if anyone had any resources that had free online manuals for my model. I would greatly appreciate it!!

Old 06-10-2006, 07:14 PM
Default RE: Changing brake pads...

Most public libraries have Automotive Manauls or Chilton Manuals. I looked up changing the brakes in my daughter's 2003 Galant a few weeks ago.

Old 06-10-2006, 11:00 PM

Search google, you will find many articles with step by step instructions for changing brakes. If you have ABS then it will be different than standard brakes, but brakes are pretty much the same no matter which car you have, only diff is if it has ABS. Again, just search google.

Old 06-13-2006, 09:39 AM

When I wanted to do my daughter's brakes, I looked the procedure up in a Chilton manual at the library and all the 2000+ Galants were the same and it did not matter whether the car had ABS or not.

It does matter on some cars, but not yours.

The best way for an unexperienced person to replace brakes is to jack up the front and take off both tires. Work on one side at a time. You always have the other side as a guide to remind you were everything goes as you put it back together. All will need to do the front pads on a Galant is a large c-clamp and a socket/rachet wrench. I forget off-hand if it was a 13 or 14mm socket for the 2 bolts that hold the caliper on. But if you have a full set of 3/8 drive sockets, you will be ok.

By the way, do not buy cheap tools. Home depot or Lowes has good tools at a low price. Husky which is sold at home depot has a lifetime guarantee. Many tools that are very cheap have a guarantee to break as you use them, possibly damaging both your knuckles and the fastener that you are removing. If you go to sears for tools, DO NOT BUY THE SEARS TOOLS, buy the Craftsman tools. I do not like Craftsman, but they are a good buy. Check the prices constantly. Sears and Home Depot are constantly selling starter ratchet/socket sets for unbelievably low prices. In case you are unaware, you need metric sockets.

DO NOT BUY THE ONE SIZE FITS ALL TYPE TOOLS.

I have done brakes hundreds of times, so I think that I am qualified to give you this advice.