Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!

Cylinder 2 Misfire Detected

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2020, 07:37 AM
Default Cylinder 2 Misfire Detected

I have a 1997 Mirage 1.8 LS. About a week ago I barely made it home as the car began running rough. Came home and it ran fine next day. It had a code for Cylinder 2 Misfire Detected. The negative battery post was very corroded. I cleaned it up and it ran strong. I drove about 5 times maybe 20 miles total. Then yesterday it started same issue and same code.I am guessing it is spark plug related. I don't see any plugs at least in plain site. Also thought about bad fuel. Any ideas why problem is intermittant and possible fixes. Thank you. It has 209.000 miles.

Old 12-16-2020, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by jssjr5591
I have a 1997 Mirage 1.8 LS. About a week ago I barely made it home as the car began running rough. Came home and it ran fine next day. It had a code for Cylinder 2 Misfire Detected. The negative battery post was very corroded. I cleaned it up and it ran strong. I drove about 5 times maybe 20 miles total. Then yesterday it started same issue and same code.I am guessing it is spark plug related. I don't see any plugs at least in plain site. Also thought about bad fuel. Any ideas why problem is intermittant and possible fixes. Thank you. It has 209.000 miles.
In between snow flakes, I checked car again. Put in a bottle of Lucas Oil Injection Cleaner not difference. Finally figured out where coil/s are located. The main coil makes a buzzing/grinding noise on ignition turn off now. The center coil pack is the one for cylinder 2. I am not sure if both are bad or just one. Also, how do they come off of the spark plugs? I don't want to mess things up. I think I can check the plugs although I don't have a plug wrench socket. Looks like parts are about $150. Guessing plugs are $10 each. Might be worth it to pay and extra $100 or do for my mechanic to do it. Guessing I need to have it towed too.

Old 12-17-2020, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by jssjr5591
In between snow flakes, I checked car again. Put in a bottle of Lucas Oil Injection Cleaner not difference. Finally figured out where coil/s are located. The main coil makes a buzzing/grinding noise on ignition turn off now. The center coil pack is the one for cylinder 2. I am not sure if both are bad or just one. Also, how do they come off of the spark plugs? I don't want to mess things up. I think I can check the plugs although I don't have a plug wrench socket. Looks like parts are about $150. Guessing plugs are $10 each. Might be worth it to pay and extra $100 or do for my mechanic to do it. Guessing I need to have it towed too.
Now after researching and talking to my friend I bought car from, it could be an EGR valve problem. Either clogged or a vacuum problem.