Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DO I need a new clutch kit?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2006, 12:55 AM
Default DO I need a new clutch kit?

hey whats up everyone? im new here and this is my first import car, i have a 95 gs, my question is for some reason when im shifting from 1st to 2nd there is a grinding noise, what could be causing this? And a couple of times when i shift gears real quick my car cuts off. So today i popped my hood and seen that there is a place where ur suppose to put clutch fluid, it was bone dry, so could this be why its grinding and stuff?

Old 02-23-2006, 01:11 AM
Default RE: DO I need a new clutch kit?

The griding is caused by the synchronziers being worn out between first and second gear. The synchronizers works as brakes and help the gears engage at the same speed. When they wear out they loose their ability to synchronize the gears. A transmission rebuild would solve the problem.

The cluth fluid is needed because you have a hydraulic clutch and with out fluid it will take a lot more pressure to dissengage the clutch.

JC

Old 02-23-2006, 01:45 AM

He's right. I'm assuming there are a lot of miles on your car which means it was driven awhile. duh.
In it's life span the syncros were worn out. maybe from fast shifting w/o correct timing between shifting and foot pedal. or using the clutch hard (a lot of fast shifts) or maybe it's just old.

The no fluid will cause problems in your hydrolic system.
In my old honda i got into my car, depressed the clutch, and it wouldn't come back up. popped the hood and too found out my clutch fluid resevoir was bone dry. I had a small leak in a hose, you're not leaking clutch fluid are you (if you've noticed any leaks)

Old 02-23-2006, 11:10 PM

i would say put more fluid in it and watch it religiously. if it goes empty again you probably have a leak in the line leading to your slave cylinder or you have a bad slave cylinder.

Old 02-24-2006, 03:22 AM

that's not going to stop the gear's from grinding. You don't need a new clutch but if you're going to own the car and you can afford it, it may be good to replace it. ::shrugs:: whatever you feel best.

Old 02-24-2006, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator

well it could still be a clutch becuase if it doesn't totally disengage then you won't be able to put it into gear. Most likely it is a syncro only because he says it happens only from 1st to 2nd, but i have had problems where a bad clutch has caused that.

Old 02-24-2006, 06:24 PM

Ya, i could see that. I just read his post again and noticed that the car cuts off if he shifts too fast.
I was dumb and somehow didn't read that last time. I don't fully understand why that'll happen.

Aww, i can see what you're saying though about the disengage. but i think, as you also said, that it would happen to all the gears instead of just 1 & 2, but one never knows

Old 02-25-2006, 02:33 AM

thanx for the adivce. I put some fluid in and nothings leaking at all. the grinding from 1st to 2nd kinda stop but every now and then it will grind. Thanx for the help again guys

Old 02-25-2006, 03:19 PM

Also make sure ur putting the clutch petal all the way down before u shift cause u will grind if u don't. I know cause i do it sometimes but u just have to train ur foot to push all the way down.