Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door handles.........

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 05:51 AM
Default Door handles.........

hey guys im getting a bit annoyed , my car has these stupid balck plastic handles for the doors, does anybody know any methods to go about painting these up?

I only want to paint the part of the handle the you use to open to door, and not the frame. (Pic below)

I don't want to take it to any shop, they don't like to waste their time doing small things like this, and if they do, they would charge alot of money!!

How can you do it alone?
[/align]

Old 04-29-2008, 12:10 AM
Default RE: Door handles.........

hellloooooooo

Old 04-29-2008, 07:46 PM

uhhhhh, take the handle off and tape off the part you don't want to get paint on.

Old 04-30-2008, 02:05 AM

You see the problem is not getting the handle out or avoiding painting something i don't want to paint, its whether or not the paint will last...........

And the process I have to undergo in order to paint them: Do I have to sand them? Another thing, we don't have any special paint kits over here and stuff like that, but I am sure there is a certain spray paint that comes for plastic, will that work!

We have this place over here where you give them the car's color, and they make you a bottle of spray paint that contains your car's color.........would that kind of paint last???

Old 04-30-2008, 06:16 AM

It may last for awhile, but not as long as the body's paint. It really doesn't hurt to try it though since those spray cans are what...$20-$30 each? One can should easily paint both handles.
Prepping is still something you would want to do. Clean, sand, prime. The primer is probably not necessary with those spray can paints (same with the clear coat), but why not use it anyway? Just to be sure that the paint won't flake off the plastic handles too soon. A coat or two of clearcoat wouldn't hurt and may help to keep the paint from fading or chipping. Remember to use light coats and don't cake it on.

Old 05-02-2008, 11:43 AM

you'll need to sand the primer too before you paint it... one thing you could try is that krylon fusion paint... find a color similar to ur car and paint it and that should last for a long time cause it's made to bond to plastic... but i highly doubt it'd be a perfect match, but it'd be a lot easier

Old 05-13-2008, 05:38 PM

just use auto paint, it will cost about 30 bucks, if u want it to shine like your car and not be rough plastic... clean with paint thinner, spray with ADHESION PROMOTOR, spray with primer, take 1000 grit wet sand paper, and sand primer with soap and water (recoat and smooth until no plastic is showing when sanded, clean with rag, spray with ACRYLIC LAQUER paint in color of choice in thin coats until solid and let dry, spray with ACRYLIC LAQUER celar coat, and ur done

acrylic laquer and acrylic enamal are the common automotive paints, if u use a laquer base and a acrylic clear coat, and vise versa, the paint will reject the clear, look on the can of the paint and clear, if you go to autozone or advanced auto, and get duplicolor auto paint, the difference is one is black can and one is blue, i cant remember which one is which, but it will say on the front of the can or on the back, this is very important

Old 05-29-2008, 08:04 AM

no way guys i did this on my 95 had to replace the handle. advanced auto parts sells a small size can of touch up paint. i used that not primer sanding or clear and it worked amazingly and its been like that 6 months now. waxes nice and all. just pull the handle part up tap under it tape some news paper around the parts you dont want paint on but make sure to take your time. and takeing off the handle and re-install is a pain in the A** much easier this way