Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing problems /Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 05:50 PM
Default Timing problems /Questions

Recently I got a "basket case" and I'm in the middle of getting it back together. Brief hiostory... It's a 4G93 1.8 with 119,000 miles and a new head gasket but it has never been ran on the new head gasket. I went to set the time hoping to start off where the last owner left off, placing the crank in the TDC position and then went to set the camshaft time before putting on the belt. The crank was easy to set in accordance with the manual, the camshaft however was a little difficult. So much so that I never did get it right. According to the manual, the timing mark on the camshaft pulley, a small indented dot, is to be placed on the timing mark on the top of the head. This means it's in the 12 O'clock position. That's one damn hard place to keep it since the valve springs are pulling it one way or the other. Not if you place the mark at the 10 O'clock position, where there is also a mark but not the one the manual calls for, it will set fine. With this said, I've tried both positions and thier 180 deg. out positions, and no dice. It still will not start. It seems to even be blowing out the the intake in the setting called for in the manual. When I place it in the 10 o'clock setting, it sucks through the manifold but not like it should. When you place it in the 10 o'clock position but 180 deg out (there's a mark on the sprocket for that also) it sucks through the intake like I would expect it to. I did note that when the cam timing belt sprocket was in the 10 O'clock position,180 out, all valves are closed with the No. 1 piston's valves closed between the intake and exhaust cycle, piston is at TDC and the rotor button is firing on the no. 1 piston. With all this said, it still will not even sputter or do anything. I'm going to pick up a comppresion tester this week but I thought i would pick the brains of those here on the forum while I waited for it. Any ideas? I'm a DIY'er and by no means an expert and for sure am not claiming to be a master mechanic so please, if I did something stupid, be kind! lol. Thanks for you time.

Old 05-30-2008, 10:39 AM
Default RE: Timing problems /Questions

we had the same problem about a week ago when i changed my timing belt and water pump..i eventually ended up taking it in and getting it timed.. bad idea since i've got more problems now and i'm out $300. lol