Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finding the right engine?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 03:11 PM
Default Finding the right engine?

I am somewhat new and unfamiliar with Mitsubishis, and in fact I am still learning about cars in general.

Anywho, more to the point. I have been informed about a second generation eclipse that had it's engine stolen awhile back and have been considering getting it and just finding a new engine for it. Now I havn't been told anything more than "It is an Eclipse" really. I am not sure about the year nor if it is RS/GS/etc, but I don't think I need to be overly concerned about that either.

Now I don't know exactly what engine I should be looking for just for a simple drop in install being that I don't know the exacts on the car, but for reference purposes I just was looking up the Mitsubishi 4G63 engine.

I am not sure if it is the same with the Chrysler engines that went into some of the Eclipses (Which is probably what this had anyway), but supposedly the 4G63 engine was used in the first generation Eclipse aswell.

Basically I am just wondering if, despite being from seperate "generations", would they work in a later (95-99) Eclipse without some horrible problems?

And while I am on the subject, is there a different kind of engine (Aside from the 4G63 or 420A Engines that came in the eclipse) that I could/should look for?

Thanks in advance

Old 08-09-2007, 06:37 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Finding the right engine?

Well your issue with the car originally having a 420a would mean that the 4g63 is not gonna bolt up totally correctly. You need to do some extra work. Do some research on the swap. It is usually not easy or cheap. But since youd be getting the car cheap it might be worth it. If i were you the engine to look into is the 4g63 from a 90-92 eclipse since it would have had a 6-bolt motor. Those are the best to get

Old 08-09-2007, 10:31 AM

Id say theres a decent chance, Jon, that this thing began its life with a 4g63t. I mean... who would steal a 420a? and why?

Old 08-10-2007, 07:13 AM

Hey whatever car you get that engine out of (if there is a car there) try to get all the parts you can (mounts, wiring, linkages, brackets, radiator, hoses, alt, p.s. pump, smog stuff, fan(s), whatever) from the donor. Better to have parts and not need them, then to need 'em and not have 'em. If you find the engine at the wrecker scavenge the heck out of the donor. You never know what you are going to need when doing a (somewhat) weird swap until the day of!