Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!

Fuse Keeps blowing

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 12:20 PM
Default Fuse Keeps blowing

Car is an 02 lancer OZ rally. I went through a car wash yesterday with an undercarriage clean. On the way home, the engine just stopped. A small 20amp fuse that goes to the ECU blew. So I replaced the fuse and drove home. Today, it just wouldn't stay running. After replacing the fuse 5 times to get home, I ran out. After picking up more fuses, simply flicking the key on would pop the fuse. So, in order to drive it, I need to disconnect the battery. This keeps it from popping right as soon as the key is flicked. Now with it running and the battery reconnected, if I hit a big enough bump, the engine just shuts off. Then I have to repeat the process. Also, when the car start back up, it shoots up to 4-5k RPMs then goes to normal. The battery is reading 12.5 amps with the engine off, and about 14.2 with it on. It's the number 8 fuse in the box that keeps blowing. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance. I've checked all the visible wires for fray or corrosion, so I have no idea where to go next.

Old 06-23-2013, 04:28 PM

you have a ground short on that circuit. Find it before you destroy something expensive.

Old 06-23-2013, 05:10 PM

Alright, bit of an update. It stalls out when ever I hit a big enough bump.

How can I find the short? I've tried looking at all the wires I can find, I just can't seem to find any frayed, broken, or corroded wires Come to find out the radio has a not so well done wiring job,so I'm going to rewire that legit and see of that might help. Other than that, I've honestly checked every other wire.