Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!

get 2 rods through oil pan??

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2005, 03:23 PM
Default get 2 rods through oil pan??

I have a 97' gs , i was wondering if anybody knew insted of ripping out my head if i could get to my rods from up undernieth my oil pan? i know you can on sum cars, but before i do it i wanna make sure, thanx!

Old 05-08-2005, 11:12 AM
pc
Default RE: get 2 rods through oil pan??

In theory yes you can. But there may be other decisions. First I would not want to do this without a hoist. Second you may have to remove a lot of suspension and steering stuff to get the pan off. Another consideration is the amount of miles on the engine. Since you need to replace a couple of rods it may be also time to rebore the cylinders and put in new pistons as well as do a valve job. I'm also not sure you will be able to get the pistons back in. There is a cylinder wear ridge created at either end of the travel stroke. I don't know that you will be able to get a piston ring compressor to work from the bottem end. You may have to take out the crankshaft so putting it back in working against gravity could be a pain and you then have to tear down to get the timing belt off. Doing that and you're almost to a complete tear down anyway. You can try and if it can't be done you can always pull the engine. You could try a rebuilt rather than all the labor yourself.

Old 05-13-2005, 03:03 AM

Wait a sec.... I just bought a used Eclipse and was passing by when I thought I'd check out the site. Did you just say something about a total rebuid on a 7 year old motor? I own a 97 Ford pickup and it has about 100k on it, so I would assume this motor would have about the same. What kind of pile of crap needs to have the motor rebuit after 100k miles? This is my first foreign car and I was hoping it would last at least till 150-175k miles.

Old 05-13-2005, 05:31 AM

ORIGINAL: nemesis500548

Wait a sec.... I just bought a used Eclipse and was passing by when I thought I'd check out the site. Did you just say something about a total rebuid on a 7 year old motor? I own a 97 Ford pickup and it has about 100k on it, so I would assume this motor would have about the same. What kind of pile of crap needs to have the motor rebuit after 100k miles? This is my first foreign car and I was hoping it would last at least till 150-175k miles.

your on a forum with people who mod their cars. Do you actually think people who push their engines hard, add parts, and race are going to get 180k miles all the time? you thought wrong.