Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GST-sputters, engine misses

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2005, 09:02 AM
Default GST-sputters, engine misses

I did a search already for my problem I'm about to explain and found some good stuff but I just wanted to get some fresh ideas before I tear into my eclipse to find the problem.

It's a '97 GST thats heavily modified. It has a T-70 and I'm running 20lbs and 12lbs (mostly 20) and have been with no problem for the last 6 months. I dont have time to list everything and I dont think you have the time to read it but it's been built and has all the upgrades to sustain this. I am going to to do some tests and find the problem but that'll be a few days and I want to get some other opinions before I do so.

Anyway, Driving home a few days ago I was flying with it set on 20lbs when it cut out. About the only thing I havent modified is the fuel cut at 130mph. Thats what I thought had happened which I've done a few times before. So I let off, wait for it to drop some speed but when I press the gas to keep going it starts bogging down and wont maintain any speed until I eventually coast off the raod. There its still idling but missing and wanting to die. So I putter on what sounds like 2 cylinders to my brothers house about half a mile away doing like 2 miles an hour with it floored. The whole time its putting out black smoke. Sitting at idle it puts out black smoke and misses. If you let it sit for about 30 sec. then floor it, it will rev all the way to cut but then will go to missing and wont rev at all with it floored. It's not overheating. The plugs (NGK, 1 step colder than stock spec.) are fairly new. The exaust temp was fine when I was pushing 130mph, oil pressure is fine and no white smoke. It obviously sounds like a fuel or ignition problem. But with my engine being pushed hard, what would have failed with those components? The a/f gauge is reading a real lean condition. I played with my apexi at
the 1000k setting, putting it at what would normally flood any engine out (+50) but it didnt make the slightest difference. I'm thinking sensors (VAF, maybe EGR or manifold pressure)
PCM or somethings broke in the valve train. I did hear a little noise in the valve area after all this happened but I cant tell if its just the usual noise the 4G63T has or what.
Anyway, I know what has to be done-DIAGNOSTICS[:'(]. But I dont know everything like I think I do(????) So I wanted to get some feedback from some of you here. (Possibly even from spyder if your reading this)

Old 07-14-2005, 08:55 PM
Default RE: GST-sputters, engine misses

LOL ummmmm this is what I am thinking while I read this:

1. This guy wont take the time to list his mods, but wants a diagnosis, not possible.
2. This guy has tons of mods, and a HUGE turbo, but sounds like he doesnt knnow at all what hes talking about
3. This guy starts listing every single different part under the hood that might be the problem, maybe its the "engine"?? I kno its not coming from the trunk...

Im not trying to be a dick but if you want help you should try to give more information. Do you know anything about your car? if you installed everything you should have a better idea than people on the forum anyway

Old 07-15-2005, 08:30 AM

Good job on trying NOT to be a dick. You must succeed at everything you do.

Engine rebuilt with 1g rods milled .38 thou. each side to fit
New 2nd G pistons
Bored .40 over
Toga Hp 2nd G main bearings
Toga HP 1st G Rod bearings
HP Rings
Crank .10 over and nitrated
Balance shafts removed
Toga HP oil pump
Cometic head gasket
Hp timing belt
Underdrive pully
T3 header
Rebuilt head with new valves
FMIC
T-70 oil cooled Turbo
Custom oil lines
Tial BOV
External Waste gate
Adjustable boost controler
OIL Gauge
Boost Gauge
Water temp Gauge
A/f Ratio Gauge
Pyrometer Gauge
Nitrous pressure gauge
1st G throttle cable
NGK coppers 1 D colder than stock
Accel wires
Apexi SAFC
550 Dark side racing injectors
255 walbro Fuel pump
Fuel pressure reg
fuel pressure gauge
NOS Wet kit with 50 shot
Dejon tool piping
'4 custom made intake pipe to turbo
steel filter
'3 custom exhaust
No cat
XTD stage 3 clutch
Lightened fly wheel
oil catch can
Short throw

Oh I almost forgot it has a battery too.....(Did you need to know that as well?) Yes I did install everything on my car. Like I said, I am going to dig in it and find the problem but until then I thought I might go to a place called TECH- help on a mitsubishi forum and see what some others ideas were. I listed sensors and the valve train as possibilities. Last time I checked theres a few more parts to a car than that. Do you know what you're talking about?
I'm a member here too and wanted to let those who might could give some input, know what was going on. I think I gave enough info for them to do so. If you CANT then stop being a PW with no information. I'm not trying to be a dick but read posts carefully and put forth a little more effort on trying not to be a dick. Its really stupid when you go to a tech forum only to be ridiculed for how you post and told "You should know more about it anyway, you built it."
Thanks for the help buddy, you're one in a million.

Old 07-15-2005, 07:02 PM

do a compression test. sounds like you may have blown your head gasket. By the way, looking at your mods (because listing them does help...) I am wondering why you are running a 50 shot and 20psi on that huge turbo with only 550 injectors. Are you trying to kill your motor? 550's will barely handle 20psi on a small turbo like a 16g alone.

Old 07-16-2005, 04:11 AM

The 50 shot is just for looks and purge. I've only used it a few times and never at full boost, it helps get the turbo spooled faster since it so big. The 550's have been doing more than fine per my pyrometer and a/f gauge and plugs. I ran the 450's for awhile with 16 lbs with no problem with my fuel pressure at 60lbs. I would go to 650's or 7's if I sprayed and used full boost but I would need to upgrade my rods and pistons more. Then you're pushing the 600HP range. I dont have the time nor money to mess around there yet.

Old 07-19-2005, 10:16 AM

YES!......NOT a blown head gasket. I had the car towed to my shop and after taking the front bumper off I noticed my intake pipe going into the intercooler had slipped out of the silicone connector. Which wasn't put back on tight when I changed the alternator the day before. So I guess when it came off flying down the road, it was all fuel and no air which fouled out my plugs big time.
Changed plugs....all OK!

Old 07-19-2005, 06:08 PM

im calling bullsh@#$. you are running 20psi on a t-70 with 550. im running 680cc on a evo111 16g. and you running 60lbs on your fpr?? and you did all the work on your car your self. but did not have the common sense to check the car on the side of the road. that would have been a easy thing to see if you looked at your car. yes if a intercooler pipe comes off the car is going to spit sputter and run like crap, and you with all your knowledge about your engine keep driving the car??

Old 07-20-2005, 12:57 AM

[sm=exactly.gif][sm=owned.gif]

Old 07-20-2005, 06:01 AM

You hear that boys and girls? Its the fuel injector police. What are you calling BS on? The fact that you paid for 680's and only needed 330's? LOL Call bullsh*t. I Dont really care. Whats your point about your running 680's? Oh, I see. Nevermind. Because you have, EVRYONE should have them. My bad. Who did you PAY to tell you thats what you needed? I know my car because I built it. 550's are doing the job and doing it good. I ran ALL stock fuel system before that with 16 Lbs with nothing but fuel pressure upped. The only problem I encountered was the fuel pump started whining and obviously was starting to go out. The 1st thing everyone says to a newbie when aking about mods is, "OH dont up the boost or anything else until you replace the stock fuel system with something that flows millions and millions of gallons an hour or you'll blow your engine."

Fuel system is important and should be upgraded But dont tell me whats bullsh*t on my car when it hauls a** and would more than likley SLAUGHTER your car.

I was on my way to town at 5:00 in the morning (DARK) on a 2 lane highway and it all happened like a mile from my brothers house. I couldnt see the pipe then. Since oil pressure and temp looked ok I drove it for maybe 1 min to get it somewhere safe and parked it. Then got a ride from my brother and figured I would deal with it when I wasnt tired. I did find the problem with-in mins. of getting it to a place I could look at it.
I know, I know,... with ALL your knowlegde you would have found it in seconds. But we cant all be as good of a mechanic as you who can call bullsh*t on anything that dosent seem to fit with what hes been told. You know this BS calling seems random and fun, so I call BS on the fact that you have a DSM. And dont just show pics. That could be anyones car....LOL
Oh, these photos might not be of my engine either. Well one of them is not.....can you tell which one it is?

[IMG]local://upfiles/1891/2B2C5B78D1DE46DE9FE2A5A4EB06AAD7.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/1891/90B3A54053B1482CAF01C02421912ABA.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/1891/981CB96D88F64BFE90F0A78D18674861.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-20-2005, 02:04 PM

oh, ok. so left out a few details in your first post, like its so dark that you cant get out a see anything. but you can see black smoke pooring out the back of your car from your rearview hmm! now injector size yea your the guy that blows the engine and says, dsm,s always break. yea because people like you crank up the boost and dont add fuel to it, lean is bad car go boom. and i would have to say that you are a better mechanic then i am because you took off your front bumper in minutes to find your problem, i know it takes me a little longer then that to get mine off. but why are we taking are front bumper off? i thought we had something wrong with the engine, i mean its not like you could just lay down under the car and see your intercooler! or just look at it from the front lol. i did not say that was not your engine in the pics, and my car is posted on this web site.

and yea your car with a t70 should kill my little 16g, well unless your intercooler pipe comes off then you know your car has to get towed to your shop so you can take off the front bumper to look at the engine rofl. so what does your car run in the quater anyway or are you a bench seat racer and have never been to one, and actually drove your car not just sit in the stands.

Quick Reply: GST-sputters, engine misses