Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!

help! car won't start

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 10:05 PM
Default help! car won't start

[hr]

well, i have experienced it earlier frequently. When i stop after a long drive and try to start again within 5 mins, car won't start. i had to try after half an hour with full throttle and it worked.

I changed the battery after having this problem two months back, and yesterday again had the same problem. in fact, after a few tries, nothing moved at all, the lights on dash went out indicating motor was going to kick off, and that's it. thankfully i had stopped near out aptt office, and we just walked to our aptt.

I want back after 1.5 hrs and started it without a problem. I have heard of vaporlock causing this type of problem, can somebody suggest what should i do to avoid it, and possible fixes on the car.

update: today morning i went and tried again, car starts fine, headlight at it's full glory even with engine dead. so i guess battery and charging sytem is all fine.[/align]

Old 03-26-2007, 01:01 PM
Default RE: help! car won't start

Hi,

did some research on net, looks like it's the solenoid, starter motor, or the connectors. I don't seem to see any of the galants having this problem though.

the whole starter replacement would cost me around 250$, but I am skeptical if there is another underlying (literally) problem here.

Any suggestions on getting a bypass done, on a short term? heat shield? i will probably bypass the stock solenoid and use a different one away from the heat sources. unfortunately I don't have access to tools and place to do it and repair shops won't do a workaround since it doesn't fetch them bucks. [:@]

Old 03-26-2007, 03:26 PM
Banned

Ok heres how you know. (i had the same thing with a GST)

If you turn the key and hear a click.. and is the starter solenoid clicking.. so its working. If you dont hear a click from under the hood.. then its not working.

If you do hear a click then that means its the starter. The way that i overcame this until i could change it was i would flick the key to the on position really fast... making it click really fast and after about 10 seconds of clicking the starter would free up and it would be ok.

If that does not work and you can get to the starter... then i suggest a hammer. Give the case a TAP and nothing more. Then try it... if that does not work.. tap it harder until it does.

Old 03-26-2007, 03:53 PM

thanks, it's exactly that, it clicks and clicks. sometimes it even starts after a few times.

only frustrating times are those when it refuses to, and i have to wait for half an hour before it comes back to life. next time it happens, I am gonna try the hammer trick. But I need to locate the damn thing first.

anybody got diagram of a 2002 mits galant engine cmpartment?

Old 03-26-2007, 03:55 PM
Banned

Il see if i can find one. Im at school and i have to get around the school filter just to get on here (yeah im only in high school)

Well it might be easier to try and make it click really fast. Test your wrist action

Sorry cant find a diagram. It shouldnt be hard to find. It can only be one of a couple things.

Old 03-26-2007, 05:01 PM
Super Moderator

im not sure exactly where its located in your car. Is it a 4 cyl or v6. Once you find it i would actually take it out and bring it to autozone if you can. They can test it for you and tell you if thats the problem

Old 03-27-2007, 12:11 AM

it's a 4 cyl.

if at all i cud get under the car, i would have tried taking it out. i guess my best bet is taking it to the mech and getting it replaced.