Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to bleed trap air in cooling system

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 04:04 AM
Default How to bleed trap air in cooling system

Hi guys, anyone here knows how to bleed the cooling system?

I have mitsubishi lancer 1.3 everytime i start my car from cool engine there a sound like pouring water in my left dash board.

I am thingking that there a trap air in my cooling system

Old 03-16-2011, 06:16 PM

liveyoj ~

I don't know about the Lancer specifically, so take this with a pile of salt, but with other vehicles I've always just refilled the radiator, put the heater control on HOT (to open the connection to the heater core under the dash), and started the engine with the radiator cap OFF. Once it warms up to the point where the thermostat opens, the level will drop, so top it up with coolant and replace the radiator cap (make sure the coolent/water mix isn't COLD so introducing it into a hot engine won't prove disastrous). Make certain that the overflow tank has plenty of coolant in it as well because as the engine cools the radiator will draw fluid from the overflow tank and you don't want air going back into the system. Before you cap the radiator, give the upper radiator hose a squeeze to force any air trapped in it out through the open radiator top.

Once the engine is totally cool, make any needed coolant level adjustments at the overflow tank. Hopefully, that should take care of your problem, although I've also heard some drivers needing to raise the front of their cars before doing all the previous steps to ensure that any trapped air bubbles work their way out of the system...

Best of luck to you...

Last edited by mothman52; 03-19-2011 at 06:01 PM.
Old 04-02-2011, 01:14 PM

After doing some noodling under my hood, I realized that there is an air bleed bolt on top of the input to the thermostat housing. A little yellow label warns not to remove it when the engine is hot (good advice!).

Don't know if your particular ride has this feature or not, but if it does, remove it after refilling your coolant to let any trapped air escape. Then proceed as above.