Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how to pass smog test

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 05:27 PM
Default how to pass smog test

what are the preparations to do so i can pass smog i have a 1990 eclipse SOHC 1.8 5 speed thnks

Old 11-30-2005, 05:32 PM
Default RE: how to pass smog test

a tune up to start and as long as the motor is in good working order and you dont have a service engine light on and your exhaust isnt rotted or missing the CAT you should be fine

Old 11-30-2005, 09:56 PM

but i have the check engine light on right now and cant figure out what's the problem. how am i able to determine what's wrong with my car.

Old 11-30-2005, 10:01 PM

ORIGINAL: edaddik

but i have the check engine light on right now and cant figure out what's the problem. how am i able to determine what's wrong with my car.
autozone will get you the code for free then look up what the code means. It could be a million things that make the light go on but if the car runs fine maybe as simple as an o2 sensor.

Old 11-30-2005, 10:06 PM

I was going to say they sell a can of something that you spray in your tailpipe to pass the emmissions test at walmart, but if the light is on... Autozone.

Old 12-01-2005, 01:37 AM

I don't think Autozone will have the neccesary scan tool to read the code from a 90 Eclipse. If i remember correctly, all you need is an analog volt meter and a few jumper wires to get the ECU to tell you what code it has stored. Having the luxury of the Mitsu MUTII scan tool, i've never had to do it this way. Even with clean emissions, the check engine light will cause you to FAIL the visual inspection portion of the test- which will result in a overall failed test. You'll need to take care of this 1st before you have it smogged. I'd venture to guess that you've got an EGR code[sm=smiley24.gif]. What you CAN do is to go ahead and make your appt to have ur car smogged- drive there but don't pull into the service drive yet, disconnect your battery for 30 seconds (to erase the code)- then drive in and get it smogged. If you're lucky- your check engine light will stay off throughout the smog test. This is assuming your vehicle will pass the emissions test and the rest of the visual/functional checks. (keep in mind that disconnecting your battery can cause idle problems due to the erasure of the adaptive idle settings).

Joel, CA
Smog Technicianl

Old 12-01-2005, 02:21 AM

but autozone doesnt offer that kind of service anymore?? is there anyway i can get any codes without usng scanners>>:?? ( i have no idea what i just said???)

Old 12-01-2005, 02:26 AM

find an aamco they advertise for checking check engine lights for free all the time. u will never pass with a CEL on so go find out why its on.

Old 12-01-2005, 02:27 AM

As i said- Autozone uses a general OBDII scan tool. YOur 90 Eclipse is FAR from OBDII and requires specialized equipment to read codes. I'll have to look at the FSM as far as what thre correct way of reading the codes using an analog volt meter and jumperwires.

Joel, CA

Old 12-01-2005, 05:52 PM

Reset the computer to get rid of the light.. And if it doesnt come back on right away don't worry about it till after the test

Quick Reply: how to pass smog test