Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how to pass smog test

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2005, 05:56 PM
Default RE: how to pass smog test

ORIGINAL: Joel_CA

I don't think Autozone will have the neccesary scan tool to read the code from a 90 Eclipse. If i remember correctly, all you need is an analog volt meter and a few jumper wires to get the ECU to tell you what code it has stored. Having the luxury of the Mitsu MUTII scan tool, i've never had to do it this way. Even with clean emissions, the check engine light will cause you to FAIL the visual inspection portion of the test- which will result in a overall failed test. You'll need to take care of this 1st before you have it smogged. I'd venture to guess that you've got an EGR code[sm=smiley24.gif]. What you CAN do is to go ahead and make your appt to have ur car smogged- drive there but don't pull into the service drive yet, disconnect your battery for 30 seconds (to erase the code)- then drive in and get it smogged. If you're lucky- your check engine light will stay off throughout the smog test. This is assuming your vehicle will pass the emissions test and the rest of the visual/functional checks. (keep in mind that disconnecting your battery can cause idle problems due to the erasure of the adaptive idle settings).

Joel, CA
Smog Technicianl
your right that is my bad I didnt realize his car was that old

Old 12-01-2005, 08:01 PM

Well they only check the diagnostics on cars 96 and up.... they will just stick a rod up your tailpipe and check emissions and make sure you have a cat...

Old 12-01-2005, 08:18 PM

ORIGINAL: Sallback

Well they only check the diagnostics on cars 96 and up.... they will just stick a rod up your tailpipe and check emissions and make sure you have a cat...
my buddies Talon wont pass its a 95 AWD and he has a CAT new tune up and all but the turbo burns slightly more than normal and we think that is part of his fail, all of the readings on his car were doubled the legal limit and that was at idle, which they are supposed to rev the motor and read it off of idle. his car sucks though

Old 12-01-2005, 09:32 PM

All 96 and newer vehicle have to meet OBDII standards to be sold in the US. With that- all 96 and newer vehicles have their "readiness test" monitors checked as part of the functional check of the emissions test. Too many incomplete monitors and/or stored trouble codes can cause an OBDII vehicle to fail the functional check of the test. However- the Check Engine light is part of the visual portion of the test. If it's ON- you fail the visual PERIOD (unless you can find a shady smog tech- which are rare these days). I'm telling you man, just disconnect the battery before you're tested and you'll be good to go (again provided your vehicle passes the emissions and the remaining visual/functional tests. Also, keep in mind the 1st smog inspection performed AFTER the 10 year anniversary of a vehicle is likely to require a smog inspection at a TEST ONLY station. Other vehicles that fall into the "high emitter profile" may also be required to test at a text only station regardless of age.

Joel, CA
Smog Technician

Old 12-02-2005, 04:13 AM

but i dont wanna risk getting it smogged and fail. i dont wanna waste money like that. so what alternatives do i have??

Old 12-02-2005, 06:58 AM

ORIGINAL: Sallback

Thats true but they will still notice a CEL and fail you. If you stil want to find out what the code is, go to vfaq.com -> Electrical -> Retreiving diagnostic Error codes.

$4 and a trip to radio shack will give you a handy little tool where you listen for how many beeps you hear, and look up what code that is for.

Old 12-02-2005, 02:18 PM

Yo! just wana thank you guys for this very useful info's your feeding me(us) it's very interesting the pulses. (beep! beeeeeeeeeeeep! beep! beep! beeeeeeeeeeep! warning your car is going to blow out!) )jke) anyway let me get my lazy *** up and but this "thing" in radioshack. and let the BEEPING begins! thanks ya all!!!

Old 12-02-2005, 05:40 PM

I hope I dont ever have to get tested [:-]

Old 12-06-2005, 03:01 PM

well, i just found out that this car has a lot of ****ing ticket fines and it laso have a freakin big fines in DMV and also the tags are not current and the paper are lost! WTF! im selling it right now! i only has 144k miles need work but runs great in the freeway!!! only 950 dollars here in norwalk california! only local buyers please!

Old 12-08-2005, 12:32 AM

With those kind of problems.. I would almost donate it to charity. They dont have to deal with all the junk.. and you can get a tax break.

Quick Reply: how to pass smog test