Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

interior leak from aircon

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 06:54 PM
Default interior leak from aircon

I think my condensate hose is blocked, the big black drum behing the glove box is leaking water. I've heard I can unblock by poking a coat hanger up the drain hose from under the car. Has anyone done this? I have a 2002 Lancer OZ
Thanks, G

Old 05-23-2005, 08:16 PM
pc
Default RE: interior leak from aircon

I once had an interior water leak from the evaporator housing as well, turned out the previous owner had not routed the drain hose outside the firewall. I had to fish the hose through the access hole so it would drain outside. I would not first use a coat hanger as I think it a bit stiff to be poking into the evap. housing. Might try first one of those auto plastic ties (police handcuff type) that will not do any harm. You can also get an A/C self flushing cleaning agent from an A/C supply store that you could spray up into the drain hose or better if there was an access from under the dash. Might work if its just accumulated crud. It's hard to imagine an 02 having this problem though. Did anyone do any A/C work on the car? Could a small creature have crawled up the drain hose and died?

Old 06-05-2005, 07:02 PM

I have the exact same problem on my 02' lancer. Interior aircon leak from just below the glove box, this maybe a factory defect. If you find a remedy please let me know. thanks

Old 01-28-2006, 02:39 PM

i have the same problem for the 02 lancer. approx 3 months ago interior floor mainly pass side started getting wet and moving to back of car. cannot figure out why this is and if anyone has more info pls email me at ckng@nextel.blackberry,net

Old 01-31-2006, 02:18 PM

Hi folks!
The problem with the water leak is that the evaporator drain is plugged. The evaporator drain is on every vehicle, regardless of make or model. Typically you see the water leaking from behind the passenger side front wheel.

The drains plug up because you've got an accumulation of 'debris' in the evaporator case. That happens when you park under trees and things like that. Leaves and debris that fall on your car at the 'air inlet' (at the base of the windshield) decompose and fall into the evaporator case. Because the evaporator is always wet, it forms a 'mush' and plugs the drain.

I would NOT suggest a cleaner if the drain is plugged. The cleaners are not like a 'drano'. They focus on removing bacteria from the evaporator core. The bacteria and mold causes odor problems.

In order to correct the water leak, you must get under the vehicle and find the evaporator drain. Typically it's a rubber tube (sometimes a formed tube) that is attached to the bottom of the evaporator case. You can use a coat hanger wire, but just don't RAM it up the drain. Use a little care just to remove the debris and free up the flow of water.

Hope this helps!

Old 07-20-2010, 09:32 AM
Default Mits Eclipse 1992

is their a schematic to look at .. to find this evaporator drain tube?