Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!

Keeping the engine clean...

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2005, 01:20 PM
Default Keeping the engine clean...

Ok. I know a bit about detailing a car on the outside, but how do you guys with show-cars keep the engines clean? The last engine I cleaned was in a 1977 Chevy Blazer, and there is hardly anything emissions-wise around the 350 to get in the way. You could clean the heads with a toothbrush if necessary. Todays cars however are a world different.

What I'd like to know specificaly is techniques, frequency, and suggested products.

Thanks.

Old 06-19-2005, 01:42 PM
Default RE: Keeping the engine clean...

i work at a honda vw dealership part time detailing cars. the best thing to do with the engie is to degrease it with any type of detergent, if it is really bad use oven cleaner . take it to a car wash with a pressure washer set up and degress everything you can reach, new cars are designed to take alot of water without anything shorting out or getting ruined so scrub away, the you power was the detergent off.. if you have a bug sponge type wash cloth wash down ever thing you can get with regular car was soap... power wash again and the use a spot-less water setting and re rense the whole are... when thats finished dress the engine and all the rubber with any trpe of armorall / palastic dressing.. most of the time you can apply them to the wet egnine... the degressed engine should shine easily once the dressing is applied... i have cleaned alot of engines this way and im sure yours in not as ditry as the some of the ones this process has cleaned... once youve cleaned it once up- keep is easy. tell me if this helps...