Intake, Headers and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keeping old cars new

Old 12-29-2008, 09:25 PM
Default Keeping old cars new

GSX is 10 years old now. was underneath putting the cat back on for inspection and began wondering.... these exhaust systems are getting up there in age as is everything else what is the best thing to do to keep them looking new and running new?? I sanded and panted anything under the car that was rusting but I'm wondering what else to do to keep her looking and running like she's not 10. any input or comments on what you have done to keep them looking and running great for years to come would be great

Old 01-08-2009, 01:11 AM
Banned
Default RE: Keeping old cars new

Keep up with fluid changes, drive the car reasonably, do all correct maintenance.

Old 01-09-2009, 01:01 PM
Default RE: Keeping old cars new

Just to add to the others:

-limit stop & go traffic, or lengthy idling
-let the engine warm to operating temp before shutting it off- limit short trips
-limit the number of cold starts
-the higher the RPM the more wear on the engine

May be easier for you than I have found for me...but wash and wax on a normal basis (including undercarriage). Don't wash when the temp is below freezing. Oh, and if you do any of the above, change the oil every 3,000 miles or three months vs. 5,000 miles.