Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kids friend burns up new eclipse

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 02:58 AM
Default Kids friend burns up new eclipse

My 18 year old son just worked his tail off and was in love with his 2000 eclipse with 80k miles. He let his friend drive the car and he did not drive it well. He had it in the red alot for a short period of time and trouble with the gears. The car put off some smell. Now it does not move but the engine runs okay. I told him I would send out a post to get some kind of information. Are we probably talking about a clutch here or could it be a whole transmission. What does a new clutch cost now anyway for one of these cars. Kind of a broad question, just trying to help the boy. Can we do anything to see if it is clutch or transmission ourselves.

Old 08-01-2006, 09:48 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Kids friend burns up new eclipse

its gotta be the clutch, the smell was the clutch burning up, and if he was doing that then most likely there is nothing wrong with the transmission, unfortunately you cant inspect a clutch without taking it out. So what exatly does the car do. Not shift into gear at all? Clutch doesnt grab when you go to move in first?

Old 08-01-2006, 09:49 AM
Super Moderator

oh and for a clutch replacement, i would figure on somewhere around $400-$500 i think. Its been awhile since i had that done

Old 08-01-2006, 11:08 AM
Banned

Well you will only really know about the trans once you have replaced the clutch. If there is any difficulty in shifting for example grinding due to worn syncros. Poor guy!

This kinda reminds me when i was teaching my friend how to FWD launch in my car... 1 clutch, 1 flywheel, 2 front tires later he gets it! LOL I know... im an idiot

Old 08-01-2006, 11:11 AM

clutch for the 2000 mitsubishi eclipse GT runs about 800 bucks from the factory and then there's the replacement. although thats in the massachusetts area. aamco can rip down you're transmission and clutch for 35 bucks and tell you whats wrong if you can get it over there. not too much money to find out exactly what the problem is.

Old 08-01-2006, 11:37 AM
Super Moderator

800 bucks for a clutch [:-]. Thats a rip off. There is no way i would ever pay more than around 3-400 for a stock clutch

Old 08-01-2006, 11:43 AM
Banned

I agree. Around 350 for the clutch and what ever the labour charge is.

Old 08-01-2006, 02:50 PM

It does nothing when you let the clutch out but it does go into gear. The mechanic is looking at it now. I suppose if we dont hear alot of tranny noise we can be pretty sure the tranny is okay, I guess? Thanks for the help.

Old 08-01-2006, 03:53 PM

Im pretty sure cost with labor included is around $600, that was the quote for my old eclipse when I needed a new clutch with labor included.

Old 08-01-2006, 04:17 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: eclipsegirl92

Im pretty sure cost with labor included is around $600, that was the quote for my old eclipse when I needed a new clutch with labor included.
that sounds about right. It all depends on the shop though, and how much they try and charge. Let us know and we can tell ya wether they're ripping you off

Quick Reply: Kids friend burns up new eclipse