Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!

Outlander 2013 Roof Rattle

Old 07-03-2016, 05:22 PM
Default Outlander 2013 Roof Rattle

My Outlander has a really irritating rattle from behind the fron interior light. Mitsubishi has issued a technical note about it (calling it a roof rattle rather than an interior light rattle) but after 3 attempts by 2 dealers if still rattles. I'm happy to have a go myself but can anyone advise me how the interior light is fastened in please? Thanks.

Old 07-03-2016, 10:53 PM

Did Mitsubishi send you something? I, too, have a 2013, and haven't received anything (nor have I noticed this problem.)
Since I didn't get anything - yours must be either a GT, or an ES, or a sport? (Mine is a SE.) Let me know - thanks.

Old 07-04-2016, 03:27 AM

Mine is a GX5. When the rattle first started I called the garage I bought it from, about 120mls away, and they said it was a known problem and that Mitsubishi had issued the technical note on it. This apparently says that 2 bolts needed torquing up. This does not make sense but I told my local garage about it and that's what they did. The rattle went away but started again after a couple of weeks. After 2 more attempts it is still rattling. Mitsubishi, as far as I am aware, have sent nothing to owners. If you search the web you will find some Outlanders have this problem. The interior light/sunroof control panel looks expensive so I want to remove it properly rather than damage it or the headlining.

Old 07-04-2016, 07:48 AM

You must be outside of the USA since I haven't heard of this trim level.
You mention a sunroof panel - which mine doesn't have - so that explains why I don't have this issue.
Is yours a diesel? If so this may be related or not: I had an old diesel work truck, and bolts/nuts were constantly coming loose (in the engine) from all the heavy vibration. (It had the same engine as a Humvee.)
ARE the bolts coming loose? If so - use a little glue, or a self securing nut which doesn't come loose.
Good luck!

Old 07-04-2016, 05:08 PM

Yes, I'm in the UK and the car is a diesel. Good idea, you might be right about the vibes shaking the nuts loose. Once I work out how to get in there we'll find out!

Old 07-16-2018, 04:49 AM
Default Roof rattle

Originally Posted by jonno77 View Post
Yes, I'm in the UK and the car is a diesel. Good idea, you might be right about the vibes shaking the nuts loose. Once I work out how to get in there we'll find out!
Hi just wondering did you ever get a fix for your roof rattle thanks

Old 07-16-2018, 06:16 AM
Default Roof Rattle

The rattle is a seasonal thing, worse in the summertime and quiet in winter, and probably less of a problem than it was, so I've not sorted it (yet). I'm 95% sure that it's the interior front light cluster. - if I press the outer edge of this upwards, the rattle disappears. The 2 interior lights are also dodgy, working and not working as they feel fit. Regarding getting the cluster out, I found an identical unit for sale on eBay, with a photo. On this, I can see that the cluster is held in by a set of 2 clips (right next to each other) about 1/5 of the way in from each rear corner of the cluster - so there are 4 clips in all. These clips are a bit like an inverted V shape, so pushing something like 2 wallpaper scrapers in should let you lower the cluster. That's my thoughts anyway! I must get the job done!!!!

Old 07-16-2018, 06:30 AM

The rattle is a seasonal thing, worse in the summertime and quiet in winter, and probably less of a problem than it was, so I've not sorted it (yet). I'm 95% sure that it's the interior front light cluster. - if I press the outer edge of this upwards, the rattle disappears. The 2 interior lights are also dodgy, working and not working as they feel fit. Regarding getting the cluster out, I found an identical unit for sale on eBay, with a photo. On this, I can see that the cluster is held in by a set of 2 clips (right next to each other) about 1/5 of the way in from each rear corner of the cluster - so there are 4 clips in all. These clips are a bit like an inverted V shape, so pushing something like 2 wallpaper scrapers in should let you lower the cluster. That's my thoughts anyway! I must get the job done!!!!

Thanks for the reply I took down the light cluster and tried different insulation tape etc but nothing seemed to work today I located 2 bolts attached to the roof and gave them a tightening and that seems to have worked fingers crossed

Thanks again

Old 07-16-2018, 07:59 AM

Well done! So it looks like the Mitsubishi solution is correct - I'll actually get my backside moving and tweak the bolts up a bit. Thanks for getting back with your post. Cheers.

Old 07-16-2018, 11:01 AM

Well done! So it looks like the Mitsubishi solution is correct - I'll actually get my backside moving and tweak the bolts up a bit. Thanks for getting back with your post. Cheers.
Ya Iím useless at this kind of thing but it was actually very easy to do good luck

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Outlander 2013 Roof Rattle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.