Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!

Power steering/Rack hissing noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 08:03 PM
Question Power steering/Rack hissing noise

Thanks for reading.

I have a 2004 Mitsubishi Lancer ES. 2.0.

Since we got the car 2 years and 14,000 miles ago we have had a hissing noise coming from the power steering. No noise when there is a slight pressure on it, however when it is dead ahead the noise is present. Also, there is odd feedback through the wheel (bouncy?). I drive many different vehicles for work and in my opinion the steering is heavier than you would expect. (very scientific I know!)

We blew one high pressure power steering hose. Had it replaced. Blew a second one, Yip that one blew as well. (Replaced under warranty) Now we have a replacement pump (Used) on the car and hose number 3. On the way home from the independent shop today, the noise is still there, the steering stills feels heavy and the odd feedback is still there. The hoses and reservoir feel overly warm; unable to touch hot. (15 miles home) The independent shop charged me next to nothing for the pump replacement and hose swap. They can't figure it out and suggested through solemn faces that I check it into a Mitsi dealer. $$$$$$$$$$$$$?

So, anyone got any ideas?

Could it be the wrong fluid?

Should I be looking at the Rack & Pinion?

Could it be rusted pipes?

Bad seals?

Any help would be very welcome. Not going to drive the car unless it is to the Mitsi dealer!

Chris