Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!

Problem with indicators and fuel gauge

Old 09-13-2015, 08:14 PM
Default Problem with indicators and fuel gauge

Hi,

I have an automatic V6 3000cc Mitsubishi Shogun and it has developed a problem with the indicators and fuel gauge.

A brief history of the last few months of the car may give some idea as to what maybe the cause although I am not sure if the problems are related.

A couple of months ago I had a problem where the car would not start and appeared as though the battery was totally dead upon giving the car battery a boost it started ok and then would run for several weeks without problem then the same problem would return where it wouldn't start properly for several days again only to rectify itself and this process went on for several months. During this time several warning lights would flash on the dashboard (the warning lights differed from day to day so I cannot say with any certainty what they were) I had the battery and alternator tested and both were found to be good. However, ultimately I changed the battery and this problem went away permanently and it has been perfect for 4 months now.

Recently the indicators stopped working although the hazard lights work (I believe they use the same relay), I have checked all the fuses and the relay and see no problems. Has any one any idea what the problem may be or what I can try to figure out the problem?

I don't know if the following is related but the problem started at the same time. The fuel gauge works ok when the petrol tank is full but once it reaches a quarter full the needle on the gauge drops off the gauge totally as though the tank is completely empty even when it isn't. Any idea what it may be and is it likely to be related in any way?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Steve

Old 09-14-2015, 09:04 AM

Did you check all the fuses or just the ones you thought were related? Did you look at the under hood and cabin fuse boxes?

It's possible your instrument cluster is bad but if it's consistently based on a fuel level it's probably the sending unit in the tank.

Old 09-16-2015, 10:27 AM

Yes I checked all the fuses under the hood and the dashboard all seem to be ok.

Old 09-16-2015, 12:40 PM

Could be a bad combo switch for your indicators...